SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Moving with orchids... what is the best way?

caliloo
15 years ago

Well.... it seems we may be moving out of state in the near future. I can certainly pack my phals and stuff in bark into some sort of box, but what the heck am I going to do with all the ones that are semi-hydro? We are looking at 4 - 6 weeks from now, should I move them into a bark mix which would be much easier to transport, or can I try to move them "bare root" and replant when they get to our destination?

Please don't suggest putting them in the car to move - I will already have 2 kids, a dog, a fish tank with bagged fish to keep them from eating each other in transport, etc and there just will not be any room.

I am planning to dig and ship a bunch of my garden plants bareroot, they will tough it out and be fine in transit, but can I pack orchids in some sort of manner so that they can be boxed? I'm not too worried about sacrificing spikes, if they can be moved and kept healthy, they will bloom again eventually.

My only other option is to sell or give them away and start over again at the new house........

Suggestions please!

Thanks in advance

Alexa

Comments (13)