SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richardol

Can't help myself.

richardol
16 years ago

As you know, I am seriously confused. On one hand I am whining about reducing my plant count and on the other hand, I can't pass up certain opportunities to add to it. Yesterday, for example.

I am the teaching assistant (read sets up chairs and keeps the demonstration table cleaned up) at an orchid care class at Napa Valley Orchids. One of the re-potting examples was an Anacheilium cochleatum var alba and there was a single pseudobulb taken off besides the root grooming. The instructor held it up and told everyone that this would take at least two years to bloom, might not even grow at all and take up valuable bench space. And I agreed.

Yet as I dumped the tray I put it aside. It is now in the smallest pot I could find propped up by gravel and under the bench. There are a whole cluster of backbulbs under there in various stages of growth.

I have had some success with backbulbs, but it takes months, even years before I actually add the plant to my plant list. Yet it can be very rewarding to bring a rescue plant back from the brink of death. And for me, it doesn't take that much space, at least in the initial stages, since I place them in an area that isn't useful for an actively growing plant.

My current guideline is that anytime I am grooming a plant and small pieces of what I consider a collectible orchid (species from the Americas) I keep it and try to root it. I consider this valuable experience even if in class I tell the novice to toss it in the garbage.

The good part about doing this, is that when a nice piece of a collectible orchid shows up, I have some confidence that I can grow it. I have added two really great orchids to my collection in the past few months which I got as groomed-off backbulbs from friends. Oncidium varicosum was a set of two leafless, rootless backbulbs that is now growing strong. Encyclia aspera was a single backbulb with leaves and a tiny bit of root. It is in spike on the first new growth.

So I guess this is a pitch for trying to grow rescue orchids if you have the space. The trick is to realize that they ARE rescue orchids and if they die (and some, even many will) it is not your fault. It takes time, but if you are an orchid grower who, like me, likes the flowers but loves the plants, the rewards can be huge in seeing an orchid bloom from a piece that would be considered garbage.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida