SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelmassapequa

What is wrong with my lawn- Pics Included.

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Some background. Had sod put down in 2010. It looked great for the first two years. The type of grass was a fescue,rye, bluegrass blend as per the landscaper. They threw some top soil down before they placed the sod.

Maintenance: I have an irrigation system. I water the grass twice a week during the summer. The sprinklers come on around 3am and run for about an hour and half per zone. I fertilize 3-4 times a year. I cut my lawn (mulch setting) once a week. I dont have an issue with weeds, some here or there, but I usually pull them while I am cutting the grass.
I did a quick ph test from one of those kits from ace, shows my ph is okay, 6.5-7. I plan on submitting a soil sample to logan labs soon as I know these home test kits are wonky sometimes.

**Issues:**
FUNGUS- Every year, like clock work I get fungus, I believe its brown patch or dollar spot. Unfortunately, I kind of slack off here , I only fight the fungus after I see it. I will use either the bayer advanced with propizonazole or scotts lawn fungus with thiphante.

GRUBS- They got me this year. Killed an entire section of my lawn. I was late to the game on this one, by the time I checked the lawn was coming up like carpet. I laid down some bayer advanced grub killer twice. Hopefully that did it.

**WHAT I NEED HELP WITH:**
My neighbors around me have great lawns. Lush and green and thick. Most of them dont do much. I paid top dollar for the sod, and though it looked great initially , it went to crap after only 4 years. In addition it seems my lawn browns up during the winter and is the last to green up in the spring compared to my neighbors. What am I doing wrong. I have never aerated, dethatched or limed my lawn. Do you guys think its a soil issue? Thanks for the time

Here are three pictures:
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

*the little spots here and there of nice green grass are the areas I reseeded with Pennington sun and shade mix.

Comments (13)