SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tkuper05

Trouble with Fescue in NW Arkansas

tkuper05
13 years ago

This is my third year to plant tall fescue in my yard. The past two years' germination rates have been pretty good (crossing my fingers on this year). I plant in the fall when daytime temperatures are around 75 deg and falling. During the last two seasons 95% of the grass has died. When I mow, I only mow the top third off the grass. I use a sharp blade each season. I pay a lawn care service to fertilize, put down lime, herbicides, etc. I do not have underground irrigation though. We have brutal summers in my area and during the first hot summer season I put out sprinklers and watered after I would mow. The grass did horrible and died very quickly after the heat came. The second season I wondered if I watered too much and I hardly watered at all. The grass lasted longer but then all died. The neighbors have given up all hope for me now and think I'm crazy for trying again. One thing I do notice is that when the grass germinates in the fall, it doesn't get as tall as it does in the spring, and then it goes crazy in the spring and gets much thicker. Any advise is much appreciated.

Comments (6)