SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

I suppose because we had to.

gandle
16 years ago

Remembering a favorite dog of so long ago. I was a teen ager and she was a klutzy mixture of breeds, big footed, slobbery good natured mongrel, but, my favorite dog. She always acted like what ever I did was about the smartest thing she had ever seen no matter how dumb it really was.

In late summer, when the first hint of fall was in the air, she always let me know that it was time to do one of our runs over the prairie and pastures. She would come to me and then run to the fence lines and then come back as to say, "come on the time is now". When we would go out on the prairie she would run through the yucca studded hills and through the prickly cactus and prairie rose and scare up doves, meadowlarks and the occasional pheasant but they would be ignored what she really wanted was to flush the jackrabbit that would wait until she was almost on top of it then explode in front of her. The chase was on and all three of us knew she couldn't win but that wasn't the point, the whole point was just something she had to do.

I guess it was the endless dance of predator and prey which those ancient hills had seen thousands of times before. She just ran because she had to and I suppose that was why I was out there with her, I had to be too. Not sure why, just had to be.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions