SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agnespuffin

I think I need help.

agnespuffin
17 years ago

Is there a 12 step program for people like me that can't seem to stay away from certain Forums?

I swear that I will not even go over to That Other Forum. And then I swear that I will not post if I do go.

And then I go. I read. And then, I warm up my fingers and post. As soon as I hit the Enter key, I am full of regrets.

Is there no hope for me???? I tell you folks, this has got to stop!! HELP ME!!!!! I am about to take to strong drink and fattening foods.

Comments (26)

• Pidge
    17 years ago

Agnes, I was away in Maine for a week and not only did not post, I also didn't even read anything on TOF. And now I am back and I stopped by and guess what? The same old/same old folks are saying the same old/same old stuff. And then I actually did post to one of the threads even though it was a digression from the subject. So you are not alone in your addiction. I really and truly must get a life.

• lilod
    17 years ago

Aggie PB, I have been good about not posting, sometimes I have to sit on my hands, but I always go there first thing in the morning - why? Glutton for punishment? Or beacause it is such a good feeling to click onto The Party and know that not everyone is like "that" -

• Pidge
    17 years ago

Lilo, you have it right, I think. I used to sometimes think that the Party got a little slow, but now I find it a really welcome relief from the misery and angst and plain mean-spiritedness that passes for "thought" elsewhere. It's nice to be in a place where folks care about each other as fellow human beings rather than opponents about what are often really trivial matters. I'll take my trivia with a little sugar, please.

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My biggest problem is that once I start pointing out the fallacies in previous statements, I just can't shut up.

I find myself posting things that I sort of cross my fingers about. For example, I have very mixed feelings about the situation in the ME. But I find that when I post on TOF, I take a stand that I don't really mean. It's very hard to be indecisive.

I think that's what some of the posters want. They are pleased as punch when someone falls into the trap and tries to repute what they have posted. I find that I am posting against The Person, rather than his viewpoint. That doesn't say much for me, does it!!! (don't answer that, I'll haunt you.)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I'll bite....what's the other forum? I have obviously been missing something. ;-)

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

TOF, or That Other Forum is the Hot Topics Forum. It was designed for people to exchange viewpoints on current events, etc.

Good idea, but it has become Home to several very opininated people that have no problem with testing the limits. I've said it before, and I will say it again, it's like picking at a scab. You know that at some point, you will bleed, but you are the only one that gives a rat's patootee that it's YOUR blood on the floor. Some of the others are very happy to help you bleed.

It has been very educational. I have learned that I must live in a sheltered environment where everyone is different but accepting of others religion, politics, and private lives.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    17 years ago

A. you have to keep repeating to yourself:

"do not feed the troll; do not feed the troll"

They WANT you to post in anger. They WANT you to feel as upset and rattled as you are today. They get a kick out of riling people up.

That's why the compost people who went and set up their own forum after Spike sold-off GW abandoned it when the very same poster turned it into a place of frustration, offence and anger. The final straw was posting an extremely offensive and crude joke about one of the other posters. From someone who constantly insists he is a gentleman and 'it's a bewilderment' and all that hooey, it was truly a disgusting thing to do.

They left and set up a new place, where it was made clear he is not welcome.

The people who hang out at Hot Topics do so not to discuss the issues, but to get a rise out of good people like yourself. Responding simply encourages them, and makes you feel furious that you rose to their bait.

"Do not feed the troll".

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Problem is that there are at least five trolls. A good discussion can start, and here comes the trolls. And down the toilet it goes. They start trolling at each other. Makes one wonder how much of their crap is for real and how much is just show-off for the ignorant unwashed.

I hate myself for posting. I guess that my DH treats me too well, and I need an ugly outlet.....he's too nice to take it out on him. LOL

But thanks for the clue about the guy that's so "Bewildered" I thought his attitude was a case of dementia, maybe mild Alzheimers, because of his age.

• Pidge
    17 years ago

Agnespuffin, the "bewildered" guy is one of the nastiest old men I've come across. Can you imagine what it must be like to be married to him? As far as crudeness goes, I don't think I can ever forget his suggestion that I get a puppy to kick when he did not like what I said. I almost never respond to him these days. It's so pointless to try to deal with a control freak like him. Also, his comment that if you "accept sh&t, you deserve it" needs to be revised. I'd say that if you GET sh&t for your comments, it may well be that you deserve it.

• endorphinjunkie
    17 years ago

Might I suggest that this topic be taken back to that other forum? Have the courage to say it to his or her face rather than dish them where they can't defend themselves.

Elia

• leeslines
    17 years ago

Just in case anyone wants to use this little feller, feel free.

{{gwi:183423}}Â Â

He lives at "Bubbalou's BBQ" along with about 25 more , here in Apopka.

Still neutral,
    Lee

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    17 years ago

Michael, I've said it to his face many times at the now defunct compost forum. I vowed never to have communication with him again after that experience. But, trust me, he knows how my opinion, and that of an entire forum of composters.

• endorphinjunkie
    17 years ago

It just seems that some of the gp posters who post here and over there are letting the effects of posting over there show up over here.

Bummer.

Oo la.

• acorn
    17 years ago

I find myself checking HT our, if those people were in the same room they would be throwing their computers at each other lol. I only post when I have something funny to say and of course it is ignored because funny is not where it is at. I also don't like to type that much.

• andie_rathbone
    17 years ago

Acorn, you've got that right about the typing. I've seen Master's theses shorter than some of the posts over there.

• User
    17 years ago

I have been very tempted to put my personal emoticon on many of the threads over there but they would just not get it.

Here is a link that might be useful: emoticon

• Pidge
    17 years ago

Doesn't seem like a huge problem to me if comments cross forum lines. I know there are topics that are off limits on this forum, but I don't think that talking about some of the issues some of us encounter on TOF is included in that list.

Andie, I laughed when I read that comment about Master's theses on TOF. Geez, is that tiresome or what? And Acorn, humor is sometimes a rare commodity on this forum, too. Maybe we need more folks like don and his emoticon (that's a really great word) to keep sanity in focus.

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh Don, How can I even forget that picture!!!! It' one of a kind.

• andie_rathbone
    17 years ago

Don, I double dog dare you to posat that!

• Pidge
    17 years ago

Go for it, Don. you have lots of pals here who would cheer you on and offer you our cyber support--for what that's worth, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Of course, the only response that you might get would be a looooongg discourse on what Shakespeare, Milton and Dante would suggest that you could do to improve your appearance, detailed instruction from Plato on the proper way to take a picture and several quotes as referring to the poster's extensive experience with barbers, the outdoor life, including camping, tree climbing and other manly endeavors. Not to mention a reference to his daughters abortion and other personal anecdotes.

Be assured that no one except those of us from the GP would understand.

• Pidge
    17 years ago

Groan, Marda, I'm afraid you are right. But I'd still like a little fun and games once in a while over there. Life is often so grim, but even politics has its humorous elements.
    I forgot about the abortion mention. He's like some people you meet on planes who want to tell you their life stories and every detail of their lives, their children's lives, their illnesses, etc. That's why I always whip out a book the minute I get in a plane seat.

• andie_rathbone
    17 years ago

That's why I always whip out a book the minute I get in a plane seat.

A big fat one I hope. Sometimes the only reason I wish I was still working is that I could always open my laptop & tell the person next to me who wanted to yak, that I had to work on a report.

• mwoods
    17 years ago

ummmm,Pidge...what did you mean when you said,Groan,Marda. I haven't posted to this thread.

• Pidge
    17 years ago

Whoops, Marda, I see it was agnespuffin and not you. I don't know why I did that.

• User
    17 years ago

I haven't read much over there lately or even posted much any where. If I decide to honor them with my emoticon it will likely be to have fun in the middle of one of the nasty threads. ; ) They still will likely not understand. Some are stuck in their own world and do not see any thing around them.

Sponsored
More Discussions