SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raistlyn

Newbie: appreciate any advice so I don't drive my husband crazy!

raistlyn
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've just started garsening and also just caught the orchid bug (much to my husband's frustration as I can no longer step out of a garden centre without buying another orchid!)

I have a small (but growing) collection of orchids and would really appreciate some advice. I've trawled the Internet and bought books on orchids but still unsure of what to do.

I have 3 phals, 1 oncidium (the common one with tons of yellow flowers), 1 dendrobium nobile (white flowers), and 1 cattelya (small mini sized with dark pink flowers).

The phals are indoors away from direct sunlight. They are healthy and have grown new leaves, roots and one of them has basically not stopped flowering since I bought it last November. It has grown extensions, new side flower shoots and now a new flower spike. One hasn't grown new flower spikes but is putting out a ton of roots! They are at least 5 inches long and crawling out out the pot! But no new spike!

The oncidium and the dendrobium have both not flowered since their initial flowers from the store fell off. Both are kept by a southeast facing window indoors and received direct sunlight for at least 4 hours everyday. Both put out new growth in roots, pseudobulbs and the dendrobium has grown 2 new canes hat do not seem to have reached full height yet.

The cattelya is grown on the same site as the onc and dendrobium. I just bought this one so it's in full bloom at the moment. I know these 3 require a lot of sunlight.

All my orchids are fertilized every other week with an orchid specific fertilizer. They are watered once a week deeply and misted on their roots once or twice a day everyday.

It's Summer and I have daytime temps of 80s and night time temps of about 60 - 65. I have yesterday put my onc and dendrobium outside in a west facing place receiving no morning sun, dappled sun in the early afternoon and then direct sun from about 4 p.m ish till the sun goes down. The phals remain inside and also the Catt.

Is what I am doing ok for them? Should I also put the phals outside?they seem to have done really well indoors. Is it ok to put a flowering Catt outside? I'd really like. My onc and dendrobium to flower again since they both look really healthy and have been putting out new growth. I know a drop in temp is required so I'm trying to achieve that by putting them outdoors.

Lastly, I live in Geneva Switzerland, and apparently that's supposed to be a zone 6 equivalent.

Ok, ending off my really long post now! Thanks a million for anyone who will take the patience to read and reply! I've really grown fond if these orchids and would Ike to learn how to take care of them well. :)

Comments (8)