SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Farewell, August ... Journal 31st

calliope
17 years ago

It's dark and cool today and teasing us with an occasional drizzle of rain. I'm halfway melancholy because I can't believe the month is about to vanish and be replaced by September. There were so many things I'd wished to do in the hazy, hot days of summer. They remain undone. Lazy, selfish things. LOL.

We'll get more sunshine and aside from swimming, those things can still be done but there is an entirely different feel to the Indian Summer, isn't there?

Today was spent in putting by jellies. I worked at it lazily with my mind on other matters except to appreciate canning on a gas stove for the first time in twenty years. How much more responsive the canner is to the flame, instead of the electric element.

I was awakened early this morning, so took advantage of the opportunity to harvest the clusters of purple grapes from one of my mother's stands. If you pick early or when it's cool, the chances of surprising a hornet or yellow jacket is substantially less. It took me no time at all to clean the grapes from their stems and run them through my Foley food mill. It was a gift from my mother last Christmas, and even though some of you may think they are terribly old fashioned, it was a step up from my old mill with the pestle. The aroma of grape juice filled the kitchen, and the jars sit like little jewels on my butcher block, cooling.

Since the counter is already cluttered with paraphenalia, I go ahead and start a batch of peach jam from the peaches we readied yesterday. This is my second peach harvest this year. Nice having early AND late peaches. I have more in the stoneware crock in the fridge, but my patience has gone before the peach supply. I have tried to eat my way through the excess in bowls, sugared with cream poured over the top........but I suspect I'm pusing the sugar envelope.

This has been the craziest year. I don't think I have ever, ever, had to process apples, grapes and peaches all at the same time. It's a first for me. I've also just now begun to can the tomatoes and peppers. This is the latest I've ever just started doing them!

As I was weeding the garden yesterday, discovered the tops were dying back from my onions and shallots, so had to stop and switch gears and yank them to lay out to dry.

It just seems to be happening so early this year. I hope this isn't an omen of things to come. I've seen winter birds showing up already as well.

I'm not ready to say goodbye to summer. I'M JUST NOT READY!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions