SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfb

Final week of construction blues -- venting

Lil B
13 years ago

I drafted a looong message, then decided to spare you all the details. I copied it and saved it for my future reference and construction journal.

Is it normal to feel completely exhausted of the fighting, pushing, and spending? Our new house is beautiful and many parts of the process have been fun. You'd think the final week, counting down to our move-in should be exciting. Instead, I'm just tired. Mentally exhausted.

Our house was promised to us by today. But instead, we STILL don't have electricity. They are *hoping* tomorrow by noon. Temps are 100+ here. No operating mechanicals without electricty. Incomplete exterior paint, and lots of interior touch-up. A final wood floor poly coat yet to be applied.

We MUST be out of our current house by Sunday. The timeline is so tight.

I can't wait for the day, that I feel I can let my guard down. That I'm no longer a Complainer. I feel like a constant whiner. In the scheme of life, the matters seem trivial. There's much worse problems people everywhere are going through. However, we just feel so vulnerable right now. For the money we paid, we expect a certain level of work. Why do we have to push the GC to make things happen??? To meet their commitments? Nine months to build a home seems more than reasonable. The deadline should have been the worst case scenario. But instead, I'm struggling to see their sense of urgency. How it inconveniences us.

Is this anxiety a normal feeling in the final week? Is all this junk a normal part of construction? Trying to balance rationalism and a level of perfection...

Comments (19)