SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_rva

Eliminating Japanese clover naturally

andrew_rva
9 years ago

My yard has a large infestation of Japanese clover. I just pulled a bunch of plants out by hand yesterday to investigate, and some of the plants around the curb have a taproot over 6 inches long (look at this thing!). I understand the benefits of having legumes in your yard, and I don't mind white clover, but the Japanese clover creates these woody stems that are really unpleasant to walk on barefoot (which is really my ultimate goal in my lawn-just something I can walk on barefoot).

I've spent a lot of effort this year fertilizing with organics and spraying compost tea. If I can establish a nice biological profile in my soil and get a good stand of turfgrass, can I expect it to get rid of the Japanese clover? I've heard the old adage that the best tool against weeds is a healthy lawn, but I'm wondering if it will really help with these super tough woody stems, or if I will have to figure out some way to pull these things out. Maybe the microbes in a healthy soil would eat up the woody stems?

Comments (5)