SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denise_gw

Eulophia petersii help needed...

Denise
15 years ago

I got a 3-bulb plant (pseudobulb? corm? rhizome? not sure which they technically are...) about 5-6 years ago. The plant has produced more bulbs each year and gotten quite large (17 so far, not counting what will come up this year...), but it has yet to bloom for me. It's certainly not a particularly exciting plant in and of itself - I really bought it because I saw one in bloom and was smitten. So here are a few questions:

Other than those of you in climates where you can grow them in the ground, can someone in a more northern climate tell me the secret to getting them to bloom?? When I ask the seller how to get it to bloom, he just shrugs his shoulders and says, "It'll bloom when it's ready to bloom." Uh, DUH! But what MAKES it ready?? Size? Age? Full sun? Drought? Lots of water???

I got tired of the HUGE pot it was in and decided to split it up and sell or trade some of it this fall. So my next question is this - will old "bulbs" produce new ones? I don't want to sell older parts of it to someone who will never get a new bulb. It seems to me, though, that new bulbs come off of last year's bulbs, so it makes me wonder if old ones will even produce new bulbs...

Anyone out there growing this in pots with great success, please respond!!

Denise in Omaha

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville