SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetcicely_gw

My two scents....

sweetcicely
14 years ago

O please pardon the pun and celebrate with me :)

By day the scent of chocolate wafts throughout our house; by night, it smells of vanilla cookies with gardenia undertones.

Last summer, my husband came home with an orchid species I had never owned. One of his coworkers felt she had no time to care for it, had lost the tag, and didn't know what it was. From the look of it I guessed it was some sort of Oncidium ally--which I had 'resolved' never to buy, because (1) they seemed so large for my limited space; (2) I didn't think I had sufficient sun for them; and (3) few Oncidiums had ever appealed to me. Well...never say 'Never.'

A kind and knowledgeable mentor gave me some excellent Onc. culture pointers, and I spent the summer, fall, and winter watching this 7 pb plant, learning how much water it took to unwrinkle the leaves, etc. As soon as it started getting some morning sun, the plant put out a new growth, then another, and more. As spring arrived it seemed healthy, but there was no sign of a spike. What's more, I had no idea where to look for a spike!

Then, like a herald, Richard posted his 'Oncidium Trivia' thread (below). Nine days later, in demonstration of what Richard had said, my plant put out a spike from the inside base of the longer of two leaves flanking the plumpest new pseudobulb. I'm sure my discovery of the spike was heard all over the house--and probably nextdoor.

Well, now there is a second spike from the other side of the pb; and the first spike of flowers have almost all opened. There are only two dozen flowers, but they are so pretty--50 cent sized, frilly edged, deep maroon petals & sepals with a white streaked purple bib--which I'm sure you all guessed at the outset is apparently Oncidium Sharry Baby or a 'chocolate' orchid. A single spike on my sweet little Neofinetia falcata contributes the vanilla scent.

I just had to tell you :) It is so nice to have these fragrant bonuses in addition to spikes of lovely orchids. I guess it's obvious how excited I am to be able to add the care and blooming of two new genera to my little list.

Many thanks to my mentor and to Richard--and to all of you who share your knowledge and experience for the benefit of all the orchid lovers here.

Sc

Here is a link that might be useful: richardol's Oncidium trivia post

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022