SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

The 100-mile diet

meldy_nva
12 years ago

Saw an old (not in age, but in years known) friend last week, while we were wandering through the local farmer's market. To be honest, I didn't recognize her at first, when last seen she was somewhat [considerably] more than plump. She looked very, very good, not just slimmer but healthy and energetic-looking, and I told her so. She grinned and said, 'the weight loss is a side-effect of what I'm calling my 100-mile diet.'

It seems that a couple years ago she was in a book club, and one of the discussions became somewhat acrimonic. The book was about a family that decided to eat only foods grown within a 100-mile radius of their home (in Kentucky?). She and some others thought that would be easy to do while another member said things that translated into 'impossible.' A verbal line was drawn and several of the group said that they'd just show that it *could* be done, and then and there agreed that for the next year, nothing would be eaten that wasn't grown within 100-miles of the area.

We sat in the shade and talked for an hour or more, as she detailed all the trials and tribulations -this well-educated lady hadn't even known it was possible to make your own jams much less can/preserve food at home- and she laughed a lot about her 'crash course' in learning to eat locally grown foods. I asked her about the most surprising things she'd learned, and she said, "It's possible to function without drinking coffee... and that my grocery bills are about one-fourth of what they were before, and that I am eating better and enjoying food more than ever."

BTW, she said that one of the group dropped out in less than a month, unwilling to give up take-out meals; one made it through the summer but claimed not have time to preserve anything for winter usage; the others not only stuck with their challenge, at the one year anniversary they threw a victory dinner for the book club -all local foods of course.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions