SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gweirdo

Designs For A New World Order

gweirdo
17 years ago

As the world is faced today and in the near future with looming fuel shortages and all the associated problems, I wonder what that implies for the future of landscape design. Perhaps for our inspiration we will fall back to ideas for simpler lifestyles based on experience from the past.

I've had an idea in the back of my mind for some time about designing a garden in a somewhat naturalistic style, which includes edible plants as the primary (though not exclusive) planting materials. While surely not an original idea, this seems to be a rare design choice in modern American landscapes. Most edible landscapes do not seem to be part of an overall larger design, but rather, are typically laid out in a formal, utilitarian manner, often as a small plot within the larger garden, and with little in the way of aesthetic consideration.

My exploration of this design idea is still in its infancy, so I am looking for examples of, and inspiration for such a garden. Today I saw an online article that talks about a book entitled "Feast Your Eyes: The Unexpected Beauty Of Vegetable Gardens",which may provide some ideas for me. Also mentioned was the example of the French jardin de cure, described in general terms as an edible version of the English cottage garden. Perhaps the French have got this thing down with their potagers, as it is reported that nearly a quarter of the fruits and vegetables consumed by the French are home grown.

Any thoughts on this type of design, as well as suggested reading would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (41)

• rusty_blackhaw
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A Year At North Hill.

"A New World Order"??

"You vill grow potatoes aesthetically! Und like it!!!

• gweirdo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Caught your attention didn't it?

• Related Discussions

Enchanted Garden/World Factory Inc Greenhouse - Need new cover

Q

Comments (2)
    What material is the cover? If its poly film then International greenhouse supply is over in IL.
    ...See More

NJ has a new world record for tallest Amaranth

Q

Comments (6)
    New York state gardener/farmer Jesse Eldrid specializes in growing heavy, tall, and large vegetables and annual plants. On October 25th, 2007, after a long summer of working, watching, and waiting, he finally contacted county officials in order to obtain a legitimate measurement of the Amaranthus Australis plant he had been growing since the beginning of the year. When Jesse contacted the local bureau of weights and measures, he knew that he had a record-breaking plant -- but he didn't know that his plant would be almost twelve feet (11.98) taller than the the goal he had set for himself in the existing record: the official measurement of the plant, he would learn that afternoon, was 27'10". In the early Spring months of 2007, Jesse received several amaranth seeds from the USDA NCRPIS (United States Department of Agriculture, North Central Regional Plant Introduction Station). Although one wouldn't think it from the size of the mature plant, Amaranthus seeds themselves are actually quite small (smaller than the head of a pin.) Germinating them was fairly difficult, however. Once he managed to get a handful of young plants growing well, he knew one of them was destined to be huge. On May 15th, when Jesse transplanted the young seedlings outside, they started growing rapidly. The plant that grew the fastest also happened to have the largest trunk (measuring almost five feet around) which may have helped the plant grow significantly taller than normal. (An average "trunk" would have a five to eight inch circumference.) As the temperatures rose, the plant grew faster and faster. Competition, too, was on the rise. In Spring, Jesse shared a small number of cuttings among friends, and their plants had begun to take on considerable height at around this time, as well. As it turned out, many of these cuttings exceeded the 15' benchmark, some even stretched to 20+ feet. In the early autumn, near the end of the amaranth's life cycle, Jesse's record-breaking plant was still growing several feet per day. Just before the official measurement, the plant also began producing flowers which also contributed to the overall height of the amaranth. Another factor contributing to the overwhelming size of the plant was the amount of water it received per day -- approximately 30 gallons per plant, per day. In order to give the plant extra support (and to determine the benchmark for the old record) Jesse built a fifteen foot tall trellis for the amaranth. It didn't take long for the plant to outgrow it, though. By the middle of August, it was no longer possible to measure the plant with a ladder alone. (For the official measurement in October, professional arborists were called in, and a bucket-truck was necessary to get a measurement from the very top of the plant.) Jesse Eldrid has been growing unusual plants for many years, and gardening is a life-long obsession for him. In the future, he plans on challenging the millet, sorghum, and historic corn records (for height.) He also intends, one day, to beat his own amaranth record. By growing crops such as these, Jesse hopes to raise awareness about the natural world and the potential for alternative energy. It comes down to who grew the bigger plant, not who brought in the bigger media or the better cameras. It's about gardening. I had twelve plants over 23' tall. Most of Brian's plants were *clones* of my certified 27'10" plant. He has left that information out of all of his articles, and posted up elsewhere that my plant is a "bigfoot" type of claim. Not only does he know better -- but he should have *acted* better, too. It's a much longer story than this, and it would probably make a good book. Maybe Brian would be interested in helping me write it??
    ...See More

What exactly does old world vs new world Salvias mean?

Q

Comments (14)
    The distinction isn't that meaningful in my view. What I think matters more to a gardener is climate of origin. For example, native sages of California and the Cape area of South Africa have more in common than sages of California and tropical Mexico because both California and the Cape are winter-rainfall, summer-drought climates, and the salvias there reflect that growth pattern (both are also fire ecologies, so germinating seeds of some species from those regions require smoke treatment, naturally or with Liquid Smoke). Tropical salvias from Mexico are summer-rainfall and tolerate little frost. Some Chinese salvias come from summer-rainfall subtropical regions, and some salvias are montaine and don't like high temperatures and humidities. These climate characteristics are probably the best clue to whether a particular salvia will succeed for you. David
    ...See More

Synthetic genes in the brave new world of food crops

Q

Comments (26)
    This letter to the journal Nature outlines the safety risk of antibiotic resistance due to horizontal gene transfer from GMOs and points out that this is not the only risk that needs to be urgently addressed by the authorities. ------ Ampicillin threat leads to wider transgene concern Sir: We are concerned by the suggestion, in your Editorial "Don't rely on Uncle Sam" (Nature 434, 807; 2005), that the US Food and Drug Administration does not consider the presence of the ampicillin-resistance gene in Syngenta's unapproved variety of genetically modified Bt10 maize to represent a safety problem. This is not the view of the UK government's scientific advisers (the DEFRA Antimicrobial Resistance Coordination Group), who state that some important veterinary pathogens remain susceptible to ampicillin (K. L. Goodyear et al. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 54, 959; 2004). They state that there is "extremely low or no detected resistance in certain bacterial species", so that "any occasional transfer of resistance genes to these organisms would be a very significant event". If, as a result of such horizontal gene transfer, it became necessary to use more modern antimicrobials to treat animal disease, they write, "then there could be significant consequences for the consumer through the food chain". The risk of horizontal gene transfer from genetically modified organisms (GMOs) is not a theoretical one. One study found that, after Bt genes in plasmid form were incubated in the saliva in a sheep's mouth for a few minutes, they could still transform Escherichia coli bacteria so that they developed antibiotic resistance (P. S. Duggan et al. Br. J. Nutr. 89, 159$B!](B166; 2003). In addition, it is worth noting that the ampicillin-resistance gene in Bt10 maize and other genetically modified crops is a remnant of the bacterial plasmid inserted into these varieties, and would therefore function very efficiently if taken up by bacteria as a result of horizontal gene transfer. Once the Bt10 maize incident has been dealt with, we feel there should be a review of the general question of horizontal gene transfer from GMOs. There is no reason to believe that any health implications are confined to antibiotic-resistance marker genes; they could, for example, equally apply to the inserted Bt toxin genes present in all genetically modified Bt crops. However, the transfer of antibiotic resistance is the only such risk currently being addressed by the authorities that regulate GMOs. We consider that the case-by-case approval approach used by the authorities does not adequately address such problems, which are common to all GMOs. Gundula Azeez Soil Association, 40-56 Victoria Street, Bristol BS1 6BY, UK
    ...See More
  • Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

I had a book out of the library a few months ago, I think it was called The Edible Landscape. I was researching a paper on incorporating vegetable gardens into the landscape, and IIRC it had some interesting ideas. Next time I'm over there I'll look it up and get the author.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

If any one of various possible doomsday scenarios being suggested comes to pass it's going to be a New World Disorder. Landscaping will not be a high priority. We're already depopulating the planet of plant and animal species at an apocalyptic rate, that situation alone is so bad it's hard to grasp and it is happening right now.

• sammie070502
    17 years ago

I designed a garden for my mom (Lake City/Seattle) that incorporated a lot of veggies. She's very frugal and also not above growing corn in her front yard if that's the best place to grow corn (horticulturally speaking).

Anyway, I tried to include only herbs, veggies, good cutting flowers, and flowers like marigolds which can assist the health of other flowers. Almost everything in the plan has some value or reason for being there (other than the purely aesthetic).

Cardoon/artichoke next to lavander next to purple oregano etc.

Rainbow chard mixed with "Bishop's children" dahlias and hot peppers (peppers probably won't ripen in this climate, but you gotta try...)

Rubarb, currants, fruiting vines like kiwi and grape, rugosa roses (grown for the hips).

My strategy was to use food plants just as I would use ornamental perennials in terms of plant spacing and color etc. The effect is a cottage garden, but I don't think most people would spot the veggies straight off.

You can get away with this pretty easily in the Pacific Northwest--same might not be true in other locales.

• gweirdo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I share your concerns bboy. If you read some of the online articles about peak oil you begin to realize what a scary scenario this is.
    I think it doesn't hurt to think about some small things that each of us can do that might have some positive impact. Local food production is one of these things. Its amazing to think about the original "Victory" gardens and their impotance to people's lives during times of scarcity and crisis.
    I'm beginning to envision a world where eventually we will have no choice but to accept a more basic style of living.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

That world never went away for most people. We in the West are living a country club existence--sometimes in actuality--while millions have nothing. There are surely far more poor people now than ever before. Even here in the US the time when there were lots of poor around is not one of the past only.

• wellspring
    17 years ago

Smaller homes.
    Homes that are energy sufficient (and a higher rating of the landscape function to support energy sufficiency).
    Perhaps the disappearance of private homes, or at the very least some significant shifts in the practice of real estate development.
    A cultural shift in our personal and community connections to the environment. That might begin by simply understanding that no suburban lot is an island. We need to begin to understand that our neighborhoods are the breeding and feeding ground for multitudes of birds and beasties, none of whom have any notion of ownership or concept that this yard is "mine".
    Buy local, eat what is in season, grow your own.
    Disagree strongly about the details  healthy debate produces better solutions  but agree about the goal--a world we can live in, a world we can leave to our children.

Last summer I spent several weeks traveling in Austria. We stayed with in-laws in a summer home in the countryside. I was unnerved in the mornings because there was virtually no bird song. I was told that "Oh, we used to have birds, but we have so many cats around here Â" I was dumbfounded. I have lived here and there and know that feral cats are a problem, but this simplistic assumption didn't fit with the eerie silence. Back home  where there is just as much of a feral cat problem, the bird concert begins around 4:00a.m. and is layered and textured with many rhythms and melodies all day long. Ironically, Europeans are far ahead of us in the strictness of their environmental laws, but they may have waited too long to start.

Where have the birds gone? And, how long will we insist on inadequate explanations for the growing silence?

As for landscape designers? There might be more for them to do, rather than less. The best of them are gifted problem solvers with expertise in how to help humans live more lightly upon the earth.

Wellspring

• barefootinct
    17 years ago

Wellspring, what a great expression..."live more lightly upon the earth". I love it. Thank you.

Makes me think, once again, of the children's song:

"Pulling weeds and pickin' stones
    Man is made from dreams and bones
    Feel the need to grow my own
    'Cause the time is close at hand

Grain for grain, sun and rain
    Find my way in nature's chain
    Tune my body and my brain
    To the music from the land"

Patty

• chelone
    17 years ago

"The complete book of Edible Landscaping" by Rosalind Creasy. copyright 1982, a Sierra Club book.

Our copy is quite dog-eared. ;)

• mjsee
    17 years ago

I wish I could afford to take down enough trees to HAVE a veggie patch. I just buy locally grown stuff at the farmers market, instead. While one might think I could grow veggies in my front flower garden, I'd just be feeding the deer. There isn't an aestheticly pleasing way of deefencing my front garden. I try to plant things that the deer don't care for--and I spray the roses, lillies and hostas (gotta have 'em) on a rotating basis with Treeguard and I Must Garden. IMG is ok for consumption, but TG is not. I've found that if I stick with just one spray, the deer develop a taste for it...

melanie

• vicki_ca
    17 years ago

That's a pretty lofty subject line, Gweirdo. :)

Mine is not a design comment, but I'm wondering if you have heard of the 100 Mile Diet. The idea is that one eats only food that is grown, processed and packaged within 100 miles of your home. It's more difficult than it may sound, especially for those living in densely populated urban areas or other places that are not conducive to farming.

Here is a quote about the diet, followed by the internet source:

"When the average North American sits down to eat, each ingredient has typically travelled at least 1,500 milescall it "the SUV diet." On the first day of spring, 2005, Alisa Smith and James MacKinnon chose to confront this unsettling statistic with a simple experiment. For one year, they would buy or gather their food and drink from within 100 miles of their apartment in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Since then, James and Alisa have gotten up-close-and-personal with issues ranging from the family-farm crisis to the environmental value of organic pears shipped across the globe. They've reconsidered vegetarianism and sunk their hands into community gardening. They've eaten a lot of potatoes."

http://100milediet.org/category/about/

http://thetyee.ca/Life/2005/06/28/HundredMileDiet/

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    17 years ago

That was it, Chelone, the name Creasy rings a bell.

• gweirdo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Interesting idea. As someone who has recently made substantial changes in his diet, I can attest to the initial difficulties in adapting. The fact that I am now eating far more fruits & vegetables is perhaps what got me thinking about how I could more effectively design a garden that provides more for my own needs and in the process might contribute in some small way toward the larger ideals of social and ecological responsibility.
    I think wellspring crystalized the design philosophy I was searching for with that wonderful phrase "tread more lightly on the earth". The dilemma, of course, will be in defining the details of how best to achieve that. While googling that phrase, I came upon the following quote that I'll think about in the future as I pull on my bluejeans in the morning: " Our profound error is that we have always looked upon ourselves as 'masters of creation', in the sense of being above it. We are not superior to other life-forms; all living things are an expression of life. If we could see that truth, we would see that everything we do to other life-forms we also do to ourselves. A culture which understands this does not, without absolute necessity, destroy any living thing." - Levi Strauss

• barefootinct
    17 years ago

I remember as a young child in the sixties, my dad, a builder and the only Republican in Massachusetts, came home wearing a "Stop Acid Rain" button. That began my education about the environment. I have a sister who is now an environmental chemist and she can tell some pretty scary stories.

It saddens me when people are unaware of the potential problems in thinking they live in an isolated micro-enviroment...an island on a suburban lot as Wellspring said. I garden, veggies and everything, completely organically. (Alright, I feed my container-ed annuals with Miracle-Gro once in awhile) But nothing that's been chemically enhanced, shall we say, touches my soil. That is not to say that there aren't any environmentally safe options; it's just that I haven't researched them enough to know and what I do is working for me.

But I get aggravated when I see neighbors bringing in the Chem-Lawn trucks and spraying all nature of things around their yards. We are on wells where I live and share the water table. I wonder what's getting in there. I also wonder about people resurfacing their driveways all the time. That stuff is incredibly toxic! Unneccesary as well.

But people believe what they want to believe about what is safe and what is healthy and what is "right". It has been my experience that gentle education and example is the best way to change people's minds. It would help if our leaders were more interested in "living lightly" as well.

I guess what we can do is to spread some compost and put our veggies in the front yard.

Patty

• catkim
    17 years ago

I quit growing my own tomatoes when I figured out how much more expensive they were compared to the organic tomatoes at the farmers market. I admit it, I am not an efficient farmer.

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

>Where have the birds gone?Don't know about Austria but deforestation in humid tropics is reducing migratory songbird prescence in other northern areas. Many of the summer birds spend much of the year in tropical forests. No forests, no birds.

• chelone
    17 years ago

Anyone participate in community agriculture? You pay an amount of money up front and then you get locally grown produce throughout the season.

Long time members of MOFGA, we also participate in "plant a row for the hungry". Sometimes it's a pain to harvest and cart it down the food pantry... but it's generally the first stuff taken.

:)

• gweirdo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am sometimes amazed by the things I am totally ignorant about. I went on Amazon today to order the Creasy book. I found another book called "Gaia's Garden: A guide To Home-scale Permaculture" by Toby Hemenway. Turns out there is a whole field of gardening that I knew nothing about.
    Gaia's Garden "describes a gardening system that combines the best features of wildlife habitat, edible landscapes, and conventional flower and vegetable gardens into a self-renewing landscape that lets nature do most of the work."
    Anyone familiar with this book? I've got a lot of reading to do.

• barefootinct
    17 years ago

Chelone, the community agriculture sounds interesting. I haven't heard about it around here, but I will look into it. I live in an area of great orchards and family farms where I eagerly go for fresh produce not coming from my own garden.

I'm glad that you mentioned Plant A Row, too. We used to do that when we had a community garden and before kids when we could grow more. Now, I have a small garden that, except for zucchini, gets eaten entirely by my family. The zucchini gets pawned off on anyone who wants it. However, you have me thinking and next year I will definitely make room in my garden to "Plant A Row for the Hungry". Thanks.

Patty (p.s. Chelone: I'll be there tomorrow! I'll be there tomorrow!)

• maro
    17 years ago

bboy, I don't know how to think about the unthinkable. What does one do with a statement like that, seriously? I don't mean to say that it shouldn't be said.

chelone, just yesterday I read an article about a local farmers' program now having a delivery point near to us. I got all the info and it looks great.

• chelone
    17 years ago

We have tons of books like that. (Where did all the "hippies" go? mid-coast Maine or Downeast... ararar).

Seriously, though, if your state has an Organic Farming/Agriculture association you will be able to find wonderful resources for the plan you're hatching. Maine has been a leader for many years now, a trip to the Common Ground Fair is a blast and fascinating!

Here are a few more; if you can't find them at Amazon, you might try Alibris, they specialize in out of print books:

"Gaia, an Atlas of Planet Management", general editor Dr. Norman Myers, c.1984, Anchor Press. Actually very general, but does a good job of presenting interconnectedness and how lil' ol' you and I fit into the big picture. Good bathroom book.

Or this little gem from the 1940s!:

"The 'Have More' Plan", by Ed. and Carolyn Robinson. Our copy is in paperback, a 16th. printing from April 1981, GardenWay publishing. I paid about $1 for it on a close out wagon in front of little bookstore. (This the original "back to the land" handbook, and it's full of very practical information, even some pretty funny references to DDT. :) )

• nandina
    17 years ago

gweirdo,
    Here are a few thoughts for you. Your idea is as old as the hills and a good one. There is a Permaculture Forum here on GW with very few postings. Maybe you and your questions can jump start it. Those with large properties can easily divide sections into orchards, veggie gardens, etc. The small, suburban yard requires some planning to accomplish permaculture. Of course one can grow ornamentals and food sustaining crops together. This Depression baby teethed on the concept and I have done it throughout the years.

Think about enclosing your garden space with turkey wire strung on strong cedar poles. On the outside of the fence espalier dwarf fruit trees. Attractive, a fun project which should yield excellent fruit crops. You will, of course, read the Ruth Stout books. Her method of gardening encourages the growth of mycorrhizal fungus which is the secret to good plant growth in tight spaces. If you are not familiar with that term, do a search. All sorts of information available.

It is important to remember that some veggies such as tomatoes and peppers must be alternated each growing season. This aids in preventing disease problems. So, planning as to what crop will grow where in the garden each year is important. ie., plant tomatoes next year where you grew marigolds this year.

As with all things related to design/gardening, much of it is common sense. Study, experiment, learn. Part of design is healthy, well placed plants and each year you will adjust your plantings so they compliment each other. It is a growing/learning experience and each spring will find you making changes, trying new combinations.

• chelone
    17 years ago

How could I have forgotten this one?

"The Postage Stamp Garden Book" by Duane Newcomb c.1975, J.P. Tarcher, Inc. (Houghton Mifflin)

This is an excellent book for small spaces; so is the "Have More" plan. So is, "Blue Corn & Square Tomatoes" by Rebecca Rupp, c. 1987, Garden Way Publishing

I'll stop now... really.

• gweirdo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Did a quick check of the Permaculture Forum this morning. A bit heavy on survivalist strategys from my initial browsing - I'll check back. Now the Potager Forum, on the other hand...some interesting possibilities there. I remember seeing pictures of Rosemary Veiry's potager that were quite inspiring, though a bit formal for my taste. Ok - back to work.

• dannytom
    17 years ago

I am enjoying this thread.
    It is great to see people discussing the global issues and solutions on a local level. I think having these discussions and ones with neighbors and friends is very helpful. Manytimes it is ignorance that has us chooosing unhealthy choices (chem-lawn)
    I have one more suggestion: reseach local candidates and use your power...vote.

• mjsee
    17 years ago

"Where have all the birds gone?"

Well,around here, they haven't. My woods and yard are as noisy as ever. It's all I can do to keep the feeders full (and it's not just the squirrels). I've got a pair of scarlet tanagers nesting close by--I've seen the male and heard both. (Not that I'll ever see them at the feeders!)

Regular visitors to my feeders include gold finches, house finches, titmice, chickadees, carolina wrens, common house sparrows, blue jays, nuthatches, cardinals (there's a pair raising their second clutch in my Buff Beauty rose), I could go on for a long while. I regularly see a blue heron fishing in the creek behind the house--there's a pair of Barred owls nesting somewhere close (we hear them)--and the hawks aree having a good time this season. All of this IN Chapel Hill, NC. (I live near the public library.) I love my birds...and do what I can to keep my yard "bird friendly." There's a snag that ought to come down for design reasons that I leave in place--the woodpeckers seem to like it. (I keep hoping one of the three varietites will nest there...no luck so far!)

My sister lives in the NE- (Boston area) and she says speculation is that West Nile has been responsible for the recent dramatic loss of birdlife in their area. (As opposed to the gradual loss from habitat loss in the wintering grounds.)

Catkim--I'm with you on the 'maters. Actually--I buy all my fruit and veg as locally as I can. What little sun I have is for flowers!

melanie

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    17 years ago

I am really happy to see this thread. I am lucky enough to live in a very rural area and have a major vegetable garden as well as very extensive ornamental beds. I grow nearly 100 % of all the vegetables I eat, and I eat directly from the garden as much as possible, 12 months of the year. (In winter there's carrots, rutabagas, turnips, beets, scorzonera, and hardy winter greens in a little low tunnel greenhouse.) I also specialize in selling premium mixed salad greens from mid-May until early November to 6 or 7 customers who all live or work in the tiny County Seat and I deliver once a week and they are happy to pay me a premium price.

I'm also lucky enough to be able to buy pastured poultry, and local lamb, pork and beef. I get free range eggs from a neighbor up the road.

I'm also a garden consultant, so I talk to people about gardens, and I've been involved in raising pastured poultry as well. All of you interested in our individual relationship to the sources of our food should read Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma. This is not a heavy read--in fact, it's quite entertaining, but Pollan makes clear a lot of relationships that I've never seen before in anything but farm (non-traditional)magazines like The Stockman Grass Farmer.

Like Pollan, I believe that agriculture should be re-regionalized, so most of our food is grown locally. Better for consumers, better for the quality of plants and animals, better for the farmer, better for the environment. Pollan shows that organic is still industrialized production, and when you read his book you'll understand why calling a broiler free-range is nothing but a marketing ploy and what pastured poultry is and why it's the only real alternative. And wait till you read his discussion of corn.

• gweirdo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments, ideas, & suggestions. I have purchased & browsed through 3 of the books recommended - some fascinating ideas there, especially considering the simplicity of them. The Toby Hemenway book on permaculture is particularly pertainent to the topic at hand. A google search revealed the story of the Dervaes family in Pasadena, who are living the life of urban (or suburban) pioneers - trying to live sustainably on a fifth of an acre. Inspiring!

• fescuedream
    17 years ago

Your ideas are interesting, and merit consideration.

I find this intriguing however: I am also in Washington State, and have a "natural" woodland style garden - the kind almost EVERYONE seems to have. You know the type - conifers, about a dozen Rhododendrons, Kinnikinnick, and lots of Juniper. These gardens are nice -- but ubiquitous when you've lived here twenty years.

Given that, we want to move AWAY from that style to something more formal and Colonial - sheared yews and boxwood, a manicured lawn area, with more emphasis on form than color but ample amounts of both. It celebrates a simpler time, before the Industrial Revolution, when man was closer to the core principles that gave us our Constitution and therefore the freedom to even own property in the first place.

As far as the chicken-little aspect goes with regard to fuel, the free market will take care of everything - provided the Government does not step in on behalf of special interest groups (Oil on the Right, and "traditional" alternative energy on the Left) to squash innovation.

• User
    17 years ago

>Where have the birds gone?I read that before the white man came, America was one solid forest from the Atlantic to the Mississippi River.

Before we start pointing fingers at Tropical forest losses we should also re-examine the loss of temperate forests here at home too.

-Ron-

• creatrix
    17 years ago

No one has mentioned water use- capturing the rain, using cisterns, rainbarrels,etc.

By what I've read, if you want to use gray water (washing machine, sinks) for the landscape, you'd best not ask for government permission- the regulations will kill the project!

• wellspring
    17 years ago

Just want to point out that if you jump on the so-called "chicken littles", you are playing a part in squashing some of that creative innovation. If we all keep whistling in the dark while it gets hotter and dryer, year by year, and we assume no end to the carbon based fuels, then, hey, why innovate, why try to come up with alternative ways of living that might be better for us all, body and soul.

Here's to us chickens!

Wellspring

• zzepherdogg
    17 years ago

I think its important to do sustainable, organic and all the green practices you can understand and impliment, HOWEVER... Within that context, I live in a tough little neighborhood, Wound up here along lifes little twists and turns, with everyone else here, NO ONE gets here at first because its a place you would choose to be. But I have noticed that some of the people in the neighborhood really love my garden. Its not like any others nearby. It is like a little oasis, for my soul, and I guess thiers too. When I occasionally leave the gate open,(which I am doing more and more) I see them look in, and on Halloween, when I open it up with the twinkly lights etc, some people say things like "Oh, Ive allways wanted to be in side here". This brings me to my point. Along with food for the body, in appocliptic times, people will need the tranquility that comes from nature and green things, as well as sustenanse for the soul.
    One time the bamboo matting on my perimeter fencing got tagged by some "Newbie"in one of the little gangs. The kids around my street blocks were so hurt, that eventually my boss even mentioned it to me. (I work at a middle school in my neighborhood) Kids kept coming to me and telling me that they were so sad, and upset, and what they wanted to do about it. Eventually I put out a note for the person telling them that my garden is not some ones turf, or having any affiliation with anything except peacefullness. (and being the artist that I am, if I wanted tagging on my fence Id have done GOOD Artistic tagging, my boss said, NO, you would have offered to teach them to be a better tagger :) This was when I realized it meant something to people to have a peacefull and beautifull thing to love, even in real hard times, and this is why I think gardens will still count at the end.

• gweirdo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think the idea behind permaculture and perhaps my goals, as I'm beginning to shape & define them, is to look at our gardens as places, which with a bit of thinking and design can meet many different needs and desires. One simple example: I want to plant a hedge for aesthetic and/or privacy concerns; why not choose plant material that provides for animal habitat or human consumption? The fact is, that there are many decisions we make in our gardens and in the way we lead our lives that, taken as a whole, can have significant impacts on the planet as well as our individual happiness.

• zzepherdogg
    17 years ago

This is just what I was thinking! In one garden room I have a row of black raspberries in tubs on a paver terrace (set on the ground, not cemented into it:). It makes a lovely third screen, taller than the box hedge and shelf of fuschias that are the first lower screens. They were all tip rooted from plants at my moms place. We try to share as much as we can. It makes the prettiest folage, with the blue canes, and then the delicious fruit. My garden is all NO KIll, but I dont have any bug problems becasue I try to have enough bird habitat that natures little cleaning machines are chirping madly every waking moment. I try to plant lots of things that will make seeds for all different types of little birds, then not dead head till very late in the spring (I do dead head lots of stuff, but not what I planted to be bird food) they like hardy asters, echenacia,. etc. then for other screens I have used red raspberries, blueberries, and of course bamboo, which I use for building stuff. I read about mixing strawberries and pole beans, and dense intense planting and thats working real well. The fact is, if its well groomed, it looks great, veggie fruit, or purely ornamental, all mixed. the thing I feel bad about tho, is that I have this huge parking strip, that I could plant rows of berries, and all sorts of nice food for my neighbors to enjoy, but they say not to eat plants planted right along a busy street because of toxins in the automobile exhaust. Any how, I think you are really on to something. oh ya, I got the Daughters kids hooked on using a dipper and bucket to empty the wading pool as they give the nearby potted stuff "a drink"

• Carole Westgaard
    17 years ago

I've been ready to start the revolution for years. Grass should be policed (no more than a given percentage of a property). What a waste - how many could we feed if we grew veggies on what is now grass. In Chicago, the Mayor is pushing rooftop gardening (skyscrapers!), which are not only aesthetic oases, but drop the temps in the heat of summer by at least 15 degrees in these enormous buildings. Rainwater is collected. But I wonder how many could (also) be growing enough to feed the poor, who could also be tending them -- because they have no job. There are so many ways to solve so many of our environmental and cultural problems simultaneously with intelligent use of the planet's gifts. We're so blind.

Westy1941

• brendan_of_bonsai
    17 years ago

I have been slowly loseing faith in gardenweb over the last few months, after getting in arguments about people rleasing farm animals into the wild and people feeding cats and letting them outdoors I've become pretty pesemistic about gardeners as a group of people, but this thread is so fantastic to find that I just swell up with hapiness at reading it.

Regarding birds, many people underestimate there importance, birds are invaluable to us because they are resposible for spreading the forests. They spread seeds from mullberries and cherries andapples and pears and all sorts of fruit trees providing a source of food for us to use if we really need to, and they also spread nonfruiting seeds as well, and those grow into trees and bushes too, soaking carbon dioxide up from the air and providing a fuel source should we need it. anyways back to the main topic.

Rhubarb makes agreat foundation planting, the heat off the house can lead to a very early harvest and it can be a great source of food to restore dwindleing winter stocks fast. Strawberries can be laid out in curving rows below bushes to form attractive plantings. Cherry trees are often fantastically ornamental in spring, and blueberries provide a bit of winter interest. Scarlet runner beans produce well as a green screen covering the south sides of houses in spring and fall. Grapes hardy Kiwi and Hops (I know, its more of a spice, but beer is important too dagummit) can also provide great shade in the summer, even shade for two storry houses roofs. in the hot summer months peas can be grown in shade in many locations. Man flowers are themselves edible; Nasturtiums are completely edible, leaves and all; roses not only produce edible hips but the petals are edible aswell, if you are careful you can harvest the petals first and the hips later; Violas and Pansies are edibe; Marigolds are edible aswell and offer a significant degree of protection from nematodes in the soil that attack tom's and pots. Garlic, Chives, Leeks, and Onions are also easy to grow and provide a degree of protection, and these can be easily fit into corners of a garden.

there are also medicinals to be grown, given the right kind of wood/grain medium mushrooms can be grown anywere, even in your root cellar. You can grow your own digitalis if you use it, untill not too long ago digitalis was issued from pharmacies in leaf form (fox glove) although some effort would need to be put into regulating the doseage.
    Asparagus is another early season producer, goes well planted along fence rows. and there are a miriad of great trees to choose for an orchard, some plants will even atract deer and squirels, which are edible aswell.
    Animals also fit into this story, guinea fowl and muscovy ducks provide eggs and pest controll. Sheep are an excilent way to keep a lawn trimmed (especially cosidering that the entire reason that lawns were developed was to mimic the look of sheep pastures.) if you have an acre or two of pasture land you can consider alpacas for wool rather than sheep, or if food is more interesting to you dexter miniature cattle produce more milk for there wieght than any other cow, a very high cream content aswell. I tend to dislike goats because billies will spoil the milk and they will strip the bark off of your trees.

There are just so many things to talk about, I wish I could cram them all in. oh, rooftop gardening is a great place to go too, No deer or rabits to eat your hard work, Wyat Erp (sp?) grew veggies on his roof top when he lived here in AK to keep them out of the mooses stomach. and it really does keep your house warmer in winter and cooler in summer.

• Cady
    17 years ago

I became interested in edible and medicinal plants as a teenager, and that's part of what led me to explore natural resources, agriculture and urban horticulture as a university student.

My garden has plants for beauty and, if needed, for function -- the daylilies are entirely edible, from flower buds to roots (I shocked a client by popping a daylily bud in my mouth after she told me she hated daylilies and wanted them ripped out of her garden); violets, roses, mints and the usual garden herbs such as chives, parsley, sage and thyme grow "wild" in the gravel and beds, providing food for me and for butterflies; the stands of yarrow could provide a poultice if I need one to stanch a bleeding wound. I can chew willow bark to ease a headache.

Milkweed and pokeweed shoots that thrive along the driveway with the tansy and strawberries can offer a fresh spring salad. A tumble of grapevines laden with this year's harvest scrambles over a chainlink fence, obscuring its ugliness entirely. There are female and male kiwi vines; akebia (two types for cross-fertilization); native mayapple; lots of hosta -- the shoots make a good lettuce substitute -- and fiddleheads from the ferns.

The garden pool has arrowhead, the tubers of which are edible. Sweetflag and houttaynia ("dokudame" to the Japanese and "chamaeleon plant in North America) offer flavoring. In a trough of native andromeda, I planted wintergreen for its mouth-freshening berries and the fragrance of its leaves. Blueberry bushes are gradually replacing the burning bush euonymus that came with the house. In back, there bamboo grows -- the culled canes are free garden stakes, and the shoots are edible if you steam them tender.

This year I added serviceberry - my favorite for its blueberry-like fruit.

That is a partial list. I'm always adding new stuff or finding "volunteers" in the garden such as chokeberry seedlings. The real prize is the wildlife that inhabit my tiny area, from monarch butterflies laying their eggs on the milkweed, to resident green frogs, butterflies, dragonflies and hoverflies, and birds aplenty.

Boy, would I love to do a roof garden! Sempervivums and sedums would be perfect for the rubber roof over the sunroom...

• willowtara
    16 years ago

I am planning my fully edible landscape for our new house. The lot is 30'x170' deep, and I'm planning on devoting all of it to edibles, front and back alike. We were thinking about possibly getting a goat for milk (we live in New Orleans in the city, and I've seen people with pet pigs, and 1 with a "pet" goat) and I know of a few people who kept chickens. But after reading Brendan of Bonsai's post, I am enchanted with the idea of a miniature cow. I just picutred myself walking it down the neutral ground (median to others) cause I know they don't chemically treat the grass, for grazing and building a small hay/feed barn. Hubby grew up on a dairy farm and his eyes started sparkling a bit. Hmmmmm...fresh milk, butter and cheese!

• gweirdo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's interesting when a thread that you started long ago is revisited. I have continued to think about the issues of sustainability & incorporating more edible plants in my landscape as I move forward with my own future plans.
    Much to learn though, as the next garden will likely be in the hills of central America. One thing I have certainly learned already, however, is the concept of manana. "Manana, manana, I love ya manana ..."