SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emyers_gw

Cover crops, vegetable families, rotations & diseases...

emyers
15 years ago

Does anyone have any info related to how closely certain cover crops are to various vegetable families?

What I'm trying to get at is, if, I plant a winter/fall garden of a particular family of vegetables (say brassicas), then, interplant a cover crop of say white clover: all to be tilled in in the early spring, isn't it possible that the incorporation of the cover crop could interefere with my vegetable rotation (to prevent disease)in the spring?

In essence, if the cover crop that is interplanted is not selected carefully, it could contribute to disease in the following vegetable crop (if the cover crop were to harbor similar diseases) correct?

What I'm trying to find is some info that links various desirable cover crops for interplanting with various vegetable crops.

Wouldn't it follow that if a particular cover crop was recommended for a particular vegetable family, that it would necessarily have similar disease carrying/resistance characteristics, so that a "normal" selection of a rotation crop to follow would still apply?

Hopefully this is at least as clear as mud.

Anyone following me?

Comments (4)