SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Journal for a Late August morning, the 21st

calliope
16 years ago

Awoke with that kernel in the back of my mind that this was a day I should remember for some reason. It struck me it was the wedding anniversary of my second marriage, thirty one years ago. This was not a particularly happy marriage, but it had its moments. He is long passed away now, and for all his desire to be the center of attention, I wonder how many people even think of him anymore? Or if they do, with the shudder that I feel.

It's so gently raining that it's almost a mist. The storms passed through last night, and although we had a good amount of rain, the epicenters of them were mostly north of us. The dog awakened me, talking to me in a low voice like schnauzers do, he wanted his morning walk.

I took him past the vegetable garden, and knew that today was the day that I'd be picking the remaining sweet corn before it got past its prime and doing "something" with it. A kettle of water is coming to a boil now to blanch it and I know I'm going to miss not walking out each night to break off some ears for supper. A second run of corn is growing now, not as fancy a variety, but very early maturing, and I'm hoping to squeeze it in before frosts.

My windchimes are gently tinkling with the cool breezes, and after the heat and droughth, everything look refreshed. When I was in the garden picking corn, I noticed the pumpkins were turning a deep blood orange. August? I suspect they'll not make it to Thanksgiving. The pies are going to be early this year.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions