SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Journal 25 August

calliope
17 years ago

Well, tempis fugit I guess. Driving home from town this morning I notice a row of trees starting to get their autumn clothes. Early, no doubt from the lack of rain this past two months. The storms come and fly over and sweat on us a few drops.

Our kitchen is getting brighter, as the sun drops closer to the southern horizon and slides through the bank ofwindows on that side of the kitchen. I have to think that whomever built this house so many years ago constructed it like the chicken shed. To sheild the rooms from bright light in summer and allow it to slide into the house in winter. The annual cicadas are playing a symphony as I type, and the birdsounds are changing. I'm seeing/hearing winter birds already.

The county fairs are just about history now and I check out the paper to see if any names are familiar and I find a few of the people who live on my road, one won it for honey, and another for apple pie, yet another for her flowers. I was going to display my enormous English onions I grow from seed each year, but the rains didn't cooperate. They came on sweet, but quite ordinary looking.

My first batch of tomatoes are canned, and the garden is just beginning to produce. This is one of the latest gardens I can remember growing. The produce from early peach tree is already "put away" and the late peach crop is any day now, as are the grapes and two of my apple trees. I have been picking the drops for a week or two, so they won't be wasted and force-feeding my family apple pies. When I get to the serious business of picking apples, it'll be sauces and butters.

I suspect I love this time of year the very most over all others, but late summer is so fleeting if you blink too long you miss it. Already my mind is into winter projects, and last night I began cutting out quilt squares for my first ever full size quilt. It's on my life list of things to do, and now's as good a time as any to get it done. The only other quilts I've ever made were for my first baby. I got the patchwork one done in time to use, but I finished the embroideried quilt just in time for the birth of my first grandchild. roflmao.

After too many year's hiatus, I'm back in school soon for a course I'd like to take. I could see eyebrows raising when I signed up for it, but you know, busy people always seem to find time in their schedules, don't they? LOL.

The butterflies finally made it this month. Not as many as other years, but better late than never. Just gonna enjoy these last weeks of summer and not even think about autumn just quite yet.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions