SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andie_rathbone

Up Close & Personal With Wildlife

andie_rathbone
15 years ago

I think I talked about the wild pig that has been roaming out in our woods, and that is now, thankfully tasty barbecue thanks to some local hunters, but yesterday we had another guest here - a hawk in our garage!

Now how on earth did it get into our garage you may ask. Well DH always leaves the garage door open about a foot so the outside cats can get shelter if there's a storm, so I'm thinking that the hawk may have been after one of the cats & then got in & then, given that it has a teeny, tiny brain, couldn't figure out how to get out. Anyway, yesterday morning I went into the garage to get some cat kibble & there it was sitting up on the guide rails for the garage door.

Complicating the matter is the fact that our garage door has been backed into one time too many & won't go all the way up automatically anymore. So I raised it as far as it would go with the opener (about 4 feet) and hoped the bird would then figure out how to make its exit & went to spend some time attacking the weds in my garden. However, three hours later, the bird was still there sitting on its perch.

OK, I figured that this was a job for DH - open the door all the way with the manual opener. However, every time DH got near the handle to open the door, the bird started flapping about & given its talons & very long beak, DH decided that confrontation was not the best idea.

What to do? I called the Parks & Wildlife people who said oh not to worry. Just wait until it's dark & then throw a towel over the bird & take it out of the garage. What? What about the beak & the talons? Thanks so much for all your help.

So DH, donned a long-sleeve shirt, heavy gloves & a hat with mosquito netting over it. And yes, why didn't I have my camera at hand & went out & with the bird flapping managed to get the garage door open & the bird made a hasty exit.

I'm now afraid to imagine who the next visitor to our house will be.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions