SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

If you've got a small collection...

whitecat8
13 years ago

Recently, my collection has gone from 70+ to 30+. It seems that the orchids are in esp. good health, maybe because...

Each watering, every potted and mounted orchid gets soaked in its own bowl of water for 30-60 minutes, then drained.

Our tap water isn't the best, and I use water from a local spring for "plain" water and to fertilize.

Once the plants are drained, I water either w/ plain or fertilizer water and drain again. Leaching's done w/ the tap water.

Before, I sprayed mounties thoroughly. Potted plants were held over a big pot and watered from the top.

I have a lot of Phals in sphag and let them get crunchy dry on top before watering. Now I'm wondering if the sphag wasn't getting wet enough, even though I watered heavily.

For sure, the mounts themselves got less water, even though I sprayed all surfaces.

The spring water's lasting loads longer 'cause the sphag's already nice and wet from the soaking. I pour only 2-3 pots-full through. We haul the water from the spring, so this is sweet.

It's been only 6 weeks on this regime, but almost everything looks happier than it did before. Time will tell.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any cautions or tips?

Thanks, WC8

Comments (14)