SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plants4chris

types of orchids to move outdoors

plants4chris
16 years ago

I'm looking for some advice on moving my orchis outside as opposed to keeping them indoors.

Two months ago I moved all orchids out to a screened porch that gets morning and afternoon sun. The usual temps are mid 90's in the afternoon. My catts and dends are thriving and lovin' every minute of it. The phals and cyms on the other hand really looked unhappy with yellowing droopy leaves. So I brought them back inside.

I was expecting the extra humidity to be a benefit, but we are in a drought condition and our humidity has been unusually low - 18-20% at times.

I'm wondering if it was just too hot out there for the phals and cyms. Are they better left indoors where summers are as hot as they are here in TN?

I hadn't moved my 2 oncidiums out because they are in bloom. Should I leave them in the house all summer too?

This is my first summer with more than just phals, and it's an exceptionally dry one. I was under the impression that I needed to move everything outside so that the span of temps day to night (diurnal?) in fall encouraged them to spike.

Everything I read seems to say exactly what temp range each type of orchid needs, but I'm having problems translating that to real life.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Comments (7)