SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
howard_a

Gone...

howard_a
16 years ago

After weeks of legal and logistical trials I was finally able to gain entry into my apartment to which I had been denied access following the flood of April 15. There was nothing there. Nothing, not even appliances. Not that the appliances were ever mine but clearly my ex-landlord intends to deny my existence fearing the penalties for having an illegal basement dwelling. Everything I had in the world just erased like that is causing me to harbor very dangerous emotions. Were it not for my involvement in the ongoing flow of involvement that is the GardenWeb Orchid Forum I think I would be in serious medical danger. I found a small furnished room in Brooklyn where I consider how to respond to this latest escalation of damages in this saga. I tell you all this not to illicit comisery or pity but as an update. Your simply going on about the things we always go on about are what make this place the thing I think about more than how dreadful recent events have been.

H

Comments (37)

• clintdawley
    16 years ago

That really sucks, Howard..

You said "everything"...does that include your orchid collection as well? I hope not..

*HUGS*

Clint

• howard_a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, 'everything' includes orchids and assorted tropicals, etc. I had no reason to believe that I was in inminent danger of eviction so I made no efforts to relocate them. Didn't have the means of doing so in any case.

H

• Related Discussions

where have they gone...where have they gone

Q

Comments (6)
    Michael you are still good for a laugh ... as I look at the gothic roll call intro from a monty python slant ... "bring out the dead" would be my chant as I make my rounds with my wagon and my bell clanging ... they will not come back ... and besides the new are vibrant and exciting group thirsting for knowledge and shared experiences .. the valued and noble others have gone on to origami.
    ...See More

rose soil mix..gone wrong help

Q

Comments (56)
    If you want to try your hand at making the most inexpensive, organic, and most durable ( durable=meaning breaking down the slowest, so that it lasts the longest before a rose needs to come out of the pot, root bound or approaching that state), try these simple ingredients that are readily available: 3 parts - mini pine bark mulch 2 parts - sphagnum peat moss, not Michigan peat moss, must be sphagnum peat moss 1 part - aged manure or aged compost...homemade or store bought 1 part. - average garden soil This formula is for all potted roses that are expected to remain in the container for up to 5 years. The pot should not be clay, that is unglazed terra cotta, but should be plastic or resin. Of Course, a pint sized own root rose should not go into a 15 gallon pot. It would most likely get rot in a heart beat. It has to be graduated up to the 15 gal. size in steps. Moses
    ...See More

Squash bugs or (U)squash(/U) bugs or (S) use Ortho Bug Be Gone(/S

Q

Comments (16)
    Granny, until recently I was totally organic in the garden. When I would have an infestation of some kind, the organic correction was only marginally successful. I do not know if it was just me or my location or what. I wish these various links would define what they mean when they say "control". I assume they mean that you bring the population down to an acceptable level. To me an acceptable level is one, either male or female but not both. I see my only options right now as being, use BBG or not growing squash for a couple of years. I am so upset over this that I am going to have an IT instead of a BM. Ok so I told one little lie. :o) John Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal
    ...See More

They're gone! They're all gone!

Q

Comments (15)
    Oh, you guys are all so kind! Linda (doucanoe) I'll check my email next. Thank you! LindaC, you are so sweet to offer. I have cable internet, is that fast enough? AnnT, I'd be so indebted to you if I could get another copy of your cookbooks. I don't want any of you to tie up your computer or go to a lot of time and trouble. I forgot that I've saved several recipes on that feature "My Clippings" so I'm good for some stuff. I think I have Ann's scone recipe there. I'll have to go look. Thanks again for everyone's kindness! It looks like I'll end up with even more wonderful recipes. Sally
    ...See More
  • wetfeet101b
    16 years ago

Ouch. That is terrible.
    I'm afraid I did not catch all of the background on what happened to you.
    But I'm thinking the landlord should have been at least decent enough to move your stuff to a storage facility where you can retrieve them later.
    Even if he was trying to keep things "hush hush" from the regulations authority, it was still your property and should have input on what to do with them.

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

What a bummer, on bunches of levels. Geesh, Howard.

Any particular orchids on your wish list right now, or is it too soon?

Thanks for letting us know. Who knew the forum would be saving New York from the wrath of a wronged man. It's even more of a treasure than I knew.

Best regards, Whitecat8

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

Is there a possibility of suing the guy? I'm sure there are plenty of grounds for it. Even people in illegal apartments (my friend's dad has about seven) can sue for illegal eviction.

That more than sucks. I wish you much luck getting re-established.

Stacy

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

Howard
    I am so sad for you.

I would like to address the members of this board.

Howard has been of immesurable help and guidance to all of us at one time or another. He is a mentor who is there, without fail for all of us. When Howard was first flooded, I queried privately to a couple of other members about how we could assist Howard. The response was, let Howard get back on his feet a bit first. My fault for not following up.

We are a cyber-community of that share a common bond. We are not computers with funny names, we are human beings. I believe we all truely like one another. Think about your collection and equipment dissapearing. How would it make you feel?

Howard has freely donated his time and vast knowledge to all of us in need. It is clear that comes from the heart. At this point I believe that condolances are understood but surely isn't there something more we can do than empathize?

Sorry Howard but there is no way to do this but post it. My thought is this:

1) Donate whatever we have that he can use (lights (of course), plants, etc) Howard could you make us a list please? We would need to keep it organised. Can someone suggest a way to do this? I have my own server. I can keep an updated list if needed

2) Howard if you have a Pay Pal account let us know
    The safest way to accomplish obtaining that information would be emailing, Howard would you agree?

3) Gift certificate to a Green House. I can work with Leise and Greg at Oak Hill or any G/H of Howard's choosing. OHG is close to me and I can go there personally and set up a Howard_A gift account. He can then choose replacements.

We can all agree that Howard is quite special. We are blessed to have him. If each of us donated something small, it would be not only a gesture of how much he means to all of us but a way to give back all that he has given us. We are the only ones that understand his loss. Surely we all could extend a hand to our Howard.

Lets work together to get Howard back to "calling it good"

Clara

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Clara,

This is perfect.

Howard, it would be terrific to help you get set up again. Besides, how often do you get to give back to the exact same person who gave to you? Usually, you pass it on to others. This would be extra special, especially because you've given so much to so many of us, and in many cases (including mine), your wisdom has meant the difference between my plants struggling along and thriving.

Clara, maybe greenhouses would set up an account and a list and keep track of what's been purchased, like for people getting married, so Howard, you don't get 5 of the same plant.

Clara, I'm between jobs right now and can pitch in on the administrative/clerical side, but I don't have a server. We can e-mail or phone privately, if I can help.

Howard, I hope you will let people give back to you.

Whitecat8

• aerides
    16 years ago

I love the idea of setting up a gift account for Howard. If we decide on the vendor, with Howards input of course, then we can open up a gift account, let people know by private email where it is, so whoever wants to can call in and make a cash donation by, say, a certain date maybe? Then Howard can call in and order what he wants when he wants it. Might be nice to choose a place that has supplies as well as plants...

John

• Sheila
    16 years ago

I like the idea of using OHG, if you, Clara would have the time to set this in motion. OHG has a good selection of plants. If they would agree to a donation plan and keep individual amounts anonymous, then members could donate what each could afford and all feel good about contributing. OHG could simply contact H regarding the 'credit' in his account and let him shop when it suits him. This would require no input on Howard's part and he'd need not feel 'indebted' to any one of us. Rather, just pleased at the general response of all the forum people he's helped in the past. jmho.

• cjwatson
    16 years ago

Everybody's very sweet. Nice idea.

Howard, assuming you have proof that you paid this person rent for that apartment-- receipts or checks -- wanna bet he/she didn't report that rental income to IRS. Last I heard, there is a 10% finders fee for you if you report him for tax evasion. Oh, and the State of New York and the City tax bureau also.

Now in all fairness though, I think the dude may be happy to reimburse you for your stuff that he threw away rather than go the IRS route. The Feds have even less of a sense of humor than the local zoning enforcement board.

• clintdawley
    16 years ago

I agree. Play hardball with him for a while.

I will donate to the "Get Howard Some More Orchids Fund" so keep us posted on how to do that.

• howard_a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I suspect it is going to be a long while before I am in a position to grow plants again. I truly appreciate the concern and care of all of you but it makes me just a tad uncomfortable to be hailed as someone special. I see a number of you taking up the refrain and the overall sense these days is that newbies aside we are all very much on the same page. Once, yes, I was the lone voice stressing the inadequacy of unaided windowsills as venues for serious orchid culture but not anymore. So, as a member of the community who has suffered a loss I am grateful for your offers but I really don't know what the future holds. Just taking a day at a time.

H

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    16 years ago

howard--

I'm appalled and shocked at your predicament--I wish you the best. Please keep in touch, we are thinking of you.

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

Howard
    You are very special.

There was no way to have this discussion behind your back. I already tried. Please be the graceful man we know you to be and make a list for us. We would like the opprtunity to give you back something....

Maybe you were alone in your voice at one time. However, the plentiful voices are a result of the sizeable gift you have given to us :-) . I thank my lucky stars that you have always been there.... and you will make me start crying so I better stop. Please, Uncle Howard, make us a list? It will keep you busy in a good way.

We understand that you are displaced at the moment. Still, you have clothes furniture and other belongings to recoupe. Let us take care of the orchid end of things. (lets not forget light for Dear Howard the Guru of the Light!)

Can anyone recommend a source for Howard's lighting needs? or alternatively I know I have some extra's does anyone else?

When you are ready to set up again the "fund" will be there for you. 1 less thing to worry about. 1 thing to look forward to that may be of some positive motivation to get yourself re-established!

granniek, it was exactly what I was thinking. I will be happy to talk to Leise and Greg if that is what Howard chooses. Really I don't mind going to Oak Hill at all! All of us including Howard can remain anonymous. He can choose what he likes/needs. (They have decent supplies too). I am also within driving distance of Hausermann's and know them too.

For those who want to help put this together please email me. I am putting spacing in my email so the auto spammers don't get my address. You may also try through GW. Whitecat, and anyone else who is interested I will email you my phone number and MSN Messenger info. I have a toll free.

Clara @ nsspeedserver. com

Clara
    PS Howard, I promise I won't send you my Helcia!

• housenewbie
    16 years ago

I have to second the motion of suing the bejesus out of this guy. Even if all your stuff was destroyed in the flood, he still had no right to just dispose of it and keep you from going thru it.

It so happens, my brother just graduated law school. So I can ask him about the legalities.

Still, illegal apt, private house, whatever, tenants have rights. Especially in NYC, where so many slumlords have tried so many sleazy things over the years. There's a lot of help available from city agencies and activist groups.

Just go over to the Apartment forum and see all the bellyaching about it from landlords. In fact, that might be a good place to ask questions about how to pursue the landlord.

Here is a link that might be useful: tenants rights guide

• housenewbie
    16 years ago

Here's another link to a NY-area tenant info site.

Here is a link that might be useful: tenant.net

• sdahl
    16 years ago

Oh, Howard! My heart aches for you!! I personally would feel quite violated, like having my home burgled while I was away. And to do this after a traumatizing flood disaster is just evil!

When you're set up again for orchids, please let me know. In the meantime, please accept my loving thoughts and prayers. Don't let this steal your health and mental well-being, too! You're part of this "family" and we love ya!

Sharon

• penelope14
    16 years ago

What a RAT!!!! I agree with other posters that you should sue the landlord. This is just terrible.

Hang in there Howard, we're all rooting for you.

Penelope

• linda_sh
    16 years ago

My thoughts and prayers are with you Howard. Do you have a Paypal account so that we can send you some money to help you get on your feet again - I am sure that you need to buy yourself all sorts of things. God bless you.

• Charm
    16 years ago

Howard...I am so sorry! Do let us know when your ready for Orchids again....I have Vandas and cattleyas to give you, if you like....~Charm

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

Whitecat
    I posted off my info to you so we can get this organised.

Does anyone know a site/system that allows for a private chat room? I know that aol had one once upon a time but it is confined to aol user's only.

Clara

• jamcm
    16 years ago

Howard,

All my thoughts do go out to you, and I can't even imagine what you are going through. I imagine it's not really the big things you will miss, but those small mementos that tell the story of your life.

I'd also like to join in any effort to help you get back on your feet. Your advice, and the simple, logical way, you always presented it have made a great difference in many orchid growers' lives, whether they actually post here or just lurk. Since I decided to follow your advice, more as an experiment to begin with, and an a complete convert, I've actually been able to rebloom most of my orchids and have only lost one or two out of hundreds since then. It might not have seemed like a lot to you then, but the difference it has made for me is huge and IMO well worth the recognition.

Julie

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

Howard, this is horrible. Forget orchids, he could use basic essentials. Furniture, towels, sheets, lamps, rugs, etc. I live right outside NYC. Can't we set up some sort of 'registry' like a wedding sort of thing? Maybe Paypal, but maybe a place like Amazon (or something similar). I'll help in any way possible. Anyone can email me.

Pots, pans, dishes, utensils....how does Amazon.com sound??

Jane

• cbarry
    16 years ago

All of our hearts go out to you Howard! I also cannot comprehend what you must be going through. When you are ready, we will all be here to help you get back to growing.

Carolyn

• tuezday1
    16 years ago

I've been wondering what was up with you. I should have called (assuming you still have your old cell number). I've been looking for you to show up "live" on gtalk.

I really hate that you have this on top of everything else.

I've been thinking of you.

L

• lunaticvulpine
    16 years ago

Howard. im very sorry to hear about youre predicamant. and the the coward who's trying to "CHA" and screw you over, he'll get his soon enough.

You've been more then helpful to us over the years in this forum (yes im aware im one of the biggest lurkers still around) and because of that i see why every one is so willing to help you replace your lost 'chids

but im going to have to agree with Jane on this one. instead of giving Howard a new collection, we should help him aquire the basics for living as of right now, and then after Howard gets himself resituated and comfortable. help him re-establish his lost collection.

on the topic of amazon. if Howard feels the need to do this he can set up a wish list via amazon and then we could go about purchasing the items he requires the most at this point in time. which IMHO would be slightly more advantageous.

any ways

Howard, take care, and im sure you'll be up on your feet soon enough, good luck to you and and hell and high water to the sleazy landlord

Gaston

btw
    my POC is @ aol or just email me through here

• orchiddude
    16 years ago

Howard..under law, he cant just throw your stuff out. In fact he may have to keep it 30 days longer if you were to just move out and leave it. I think you have a court case just waiting to happen on your side. The IRS will be pissed too if they dont get there taxes. Get you a lawyer and goto court.

I have some phrags and cymbidiums I can send over. I would be glad to send some money. Let me know how I can help.

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Hey, Howard - There are many on this Forum who have given much of their time and experience to others for a long time. If one of them lost everything - fire, hurricane, tornado, flood, many of us would want to help them get going again. I don't want to make assumptions here, but I wouldn't be surprised if you helped out, too. So, please let us do for you what we (and perhaps you) would do for others.

Don't make me come over there! LOL

Whitecat8

• mike_gee
    16 years ago

Count me in too. Why don't y'all combine the effort Clara Jane Whitecat8 everyone?
    Mike

• garlicgrower
    16 years ago

Howard! Best of luck with all these "issues" You know many of us are thinking of you...

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

Great Idea Mike! Jane, everyone, are you game for bundling this all together? I have plenty of space here for donated items/ plants, whatever. OHG is game for an account (all parties would remain anonymous including Howard).

We are getting things organised. Will be posting shortly on how to accomplish this, just sorting through the logistics, making some calls, getting a small site up and running to keep everyone updated.

Hang in Howard. The "Orchid Nymphs and Fairies" are on the way!

Clara

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

Count me in Clara. Email me.

Jane

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

Hi Jane
    I emailed you 2 days ago through GW. Will try again

Clara @ nsspeedserver. com (take the spaces out)

Clara

• ntgerald
    16 years ago

I wonder how he is?

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

Clara has been working very hard to organize a website which offers suggestions and links to help Howard get back on his feet. Please keep in mind that Howard lost everything in this horrid disaster.

Plants are not a necessity (and may not be possible at this time), but personal, living items are. Any help, no matter how small will be enormous.

Clara has put many long hours into setting up something safe and anonymous for people to help Howard. Whitecat8 has worked with Clara and you will see what a feat they have accomplished in such a short time.

It has been very difficult to find a way to offer help in a way which remains anonymous for everyone involved. I think gift-cards are the easiest solution. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Please post to the website or to me at the email on 'my page.'

Jane

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Kudos to Clara, WC8 and everyone else (as secretive as any may be) for organizing this, and for all supporting this effort!

Even in secret, your efforts will be known to the highest power...YOURSELF and apprecited by those whom you help.

• ice_cream_lover
    16 years ago

I've have just read what happened to you, I'm really sorry about it, belive me please, I' cant stop crying and I hope and wish you strength and intelligence to handle this problem, I don´t know how to help you I'm not ok myself, on June 26th I had a terrible lost and I'm not ok, I just belive(and hope) that you (and us) will be stronger and happier at the end of these. Love Alma

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!