SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnjohn311

Australian orchid nursery diversity and politics

johnjohn311
13 years ago

A long standing NSW native orchid vendor at the St Ives Orchid Show in Sydney tells me he has been refused a spot at this years show. This was apparently in part due to a certain orchid nursery based in Victoria deciding to buy its way into the show. The money paid by the Victorian nursery apparently swayed the show committee in its favor.

As this Victorian nursery gets larger, it is contributing to the failure of more and more orchid nurseries in Australia.

I ask, what can be done to promote support of these other smaller orchid nursery's in Australia? Would a boycott of the large nursery by those concerned - such as I - be worthwhile?

As Australian orchid growers let things continue the way they have been, there are less and less vendors from which to purchase plants. All the while the growing monopoly of the Victorian nursery is increasing the cost of their plants - to the disadvantage of all orchid growers in Australia. Certainly the large orchid nursery's greed and power is exhibited in online orchid auctions where most orchid buyers I know wonder how this nursery's owner can live with themselves selling orchids for such exorbitant prices.

Comments (6)