SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Is this a caucasian/oriental/hispanic hobby?

orchidnick
13 years ago

We have a black president, had a black Secretary of State recently, were are the black orchid growers? No Eskimos makes sense but this?

I'm not of these fanatics who goes to 10 different orchid societies, (I know 2 like that) but circumstances have taken me to 4 different societies in the last 1/2 year. 2 in the my area where I go regularly, a species study group in San Diego where 4 of my kids live and I go there, coupling it with a monthly get together with the brood and recently the Pleurothallis Alliance which meets in San Francisco. I go to that one on the way up to Redding, which is north of there, where my oldest son and another crop of grand children live. In addition to that, I have given a talk to 2 other societies.

I just realized that amongst these 6 societies there was not one black face. We do have one black member, on paper only since he never attends meetings, the last time I saw him was several years ago.

What gives? A black chief executive but no black orchid growers? All the other races represented, but not them. What's the racial diversity in your group?

Nick

Comments (34)