SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

I am in trouble!

jane__ny
11 years ago

I am living in Florida, in a small condo while we look for a house. I am living near a family member who has a nice home near the Gulf of Mexico.

I recently ordered some orchid supplies to repot my orchids which have come along with me from NY. I had the supplies sent to this family member as there's no room here.

Recently, while visiting my family member, they asked me to take a look at their orchids and whether they should be repotted. They have never been repotted since they own them - over 4 years.

They had 5 Phals growing on the kitchen windowsill, very happlily and full of spikes and flowers. This large window is above their kitchen sink, gets bright light but no direct sun. Plants looked great, big leaves, all making new leaf, long, uncut spikes a mile long.

I realize they were growing in plastic pots inside ceramic pots with no drainage. All were sitting in some water. I was surprised to see barely any sphag in the pots and lots of healthy roots. I suggested she shouldn't leave them sitting in water, but I also commented that the roots looked very good.

I offered to repot all the orchids. I asked she leave them outside in a shady spot and I would come the next day and pot them.

Unfortunately, I got involved in some other things and forgot about her plants. I went over today, while they were at work and found the plants sitting in full sun, totally burned. Many of the large leaves were almost white and wilted. Spikes all burned and flowers dead. What a sight!

The roots look good and some have the beginning of a new leaf, which doesn't look burned.

Any hope for these? I've gotten sunburn on my own plants, in the past, but never like this. They thought they put the plants in a shady place (was shady in the morning) but it actually faced West getting full Florida sun.

Any chance they would survive without most of their leaves?

Jane

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living