SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Half and half for half.

orchidnick
10 years ago

Half of my Dracula collection is being repotted. Many are doing well but just not as well as I wold like them too. I have seen the incredible plants grown by John Leathers of Hawk Hills and finally decided toi adopt his growing technique.

In the 'Orchids' magazine, Vol 80 No 10 October 2011 he writes about Drac 'Raven an almost black orchid he developed. In the first collum, near the bottom, he describes his potting method. Line a basket with sphagnum moss and fill the center with bark/perlite. I have seen the mixture, it is about 30% medium perlite, the rerst orchidea bark.. Basically it is similar to a coconut liner as sold by HD only SM instead. Half moss, half bark.

The idea is that in pure moss, the roots might get too wet and not get enough air. I'm almost finished adopting that method for half of my plants. Since part of any grower's success is the environment where he grows, what works for him might not work for me. My collection is easily split in two by the aisle, The Democrats on the left of the aisle will all try the new method, the Republicans on the right will stick to the old and tried methods, live or die. I'm an independent, I walk in the center of the aisle.

New ideas are great but one should never commit the entire collection, try it out on a select group and see how it goes. If in a couple of month the new group is doing better then I'll switch the entire collection.

Nick

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting