SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheepco

High cost of vet care???

sheepco
17 years ago

Ok, I need to vent here, and I already did it at work so you're next in line.

A gal came into the clinic and wanted to buy heartworm preventative for her dog. It was the first time she stopped in and we have never seen her 5 year old dog. She had had a dog several years before that had heartworm when she lived elsewhere. We explained to her that heartworm preventatives are prescription medication and that we could not prescribe them without seeing the dog and testing it for heartworm first. (actually we won't sell Heartguard to ANYONE with out a test first due to possible complications). Or she could have her previous vet send us the test results from this spring (or a prescription).

She got quite nasty - it was all a big rip-off so we could get the $31.50 for the Heartworm/Lyme/Erlichia test. She initially thought the $6.35/month quite reasonable for the monthly pills for her big dog. But no way she could afford to have the dog tested!

When was the last time YOU walked into your local clinic and asked the receptionist to sell you some Cipro for YOUR lastest infection!! My doctor wouldn't even consider it!

And then there's the guy that freaked out when we gave him an estimate of $150 - $200 to remove a mammary tumor from his beloved 10 year old intact female Border Collie. She's worked for him for TEN years. I just got MY bill from having a tiny breast lumpectomy (benign thank God) in January. My part (after insurance) was $900+, I asked that they send me in itemization. Are you ready...$6,557.00! Of course that was before all those adjustments, insurance payments, etc. It was general anesthesia surgery but I was in and out of there in 3 hours.

As a rural veterinary practice we try to give the best possible care to our patients. We have laser surgery, ultrasound, x-ray, and in-house lab equipment to provide GOOD quality medical care. We try to keep our costs down so that people CAN afford to spay and neuter their barn cats, hunting dogs or their pampered pets. No preferential treatment here. And we are lucky not to have the high overhead that urban vet clinics have.

But get REAL here folks, the days of a $45 cat spay are gone.

We charge $28 for an initial exam...that includes the receptionist that answers the phone and makes the appointment, the technician that takes your pets medical history, the kennel person that walks the dogs and gives your pet that extra TLC when she's scared, the computers, building, a $25,000 ultrasound machine, a $27,000 laser, utilities, etc, etc, etc. It includes the veterinarian that has gone to school for 6 or 8 YEARS and has $35,000 worth of student loans to pay off (that's conservative).

And then we get the calls..oh, do you know anything about cats? Duh, no. I've been a tech for 27 years, Our office manger/tech - 36 years...what's a cat?

AND, one of our vets just finished his 3rd tour Special Ops in Iraq!

So, please don't come into MY clinic and tell me we're trying to gouge you for a few extra bucks!

Sorry, unfortunately it's the people that can least afford them that have too many pets. I have many, many more WONDERFUL clients than bad apples...they make my life and my job worthwhile. Thank you for the outlet.

Comments (20)