SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
counselor4444

HELP! How do I save these phals????

counselor4444
15 years ago

Hi all!

Ok, so I purchased two phals on clearance. One of them is in worse shape then the other. I am fully aware that they may not make it, but I paid so little, it's worth my effort (and learning experience). However, I still consider myself a newbie, so I need your advice on how to rehabilitate them. Here are each with a description of their problems (as I see them) and photos:

Phal 1: Taipei Gold x. Venosa (purchased 3 weeks ago)

All six leaves look relatively healthy. No evidence that I see of bugs or fungus. No blooms are left on the spike, but the spike is still green and the end of the spike has three green baby buds. So, it could bloom partially relatively soon. To me, it's biggest problem is that it looks like it's outgrown the pot it's in. when I look into the clear plastic pot, the roots seem to be in relatively good shape.

Questions:

1. Do the roots seem healthy to you? (I think they look ok from what I see... not 100% fantastic, but not black either)

2. Should I repot now or wait until I'm sure it's done blooming?

Photos of phal #1:

{{gwi:170762}}

{{gwi:170763}}

{{gwi:170764}}

{{gwi:170766}}

Phal #2: Dpts. Leopard Prince THIS ONE IS GOING TO BE A HANDFUL! (purchased yesterday)

This one needs serious work. When I purchasd it, the moss was bone dry. It has five or so leaves... one has badly deteriorated. (see pic below) It's spike looks more brown then green. Definitely won't re-bloom anytime soon. Roots: not in great shape. Looking into the plastic pot, it appears that some genious put styrofoam in the bottom (is this normal????) it doesn't have much of any other medium in it (half moss/half styrofoam) and the roots don't look great... some look mushy (but some do look healthy) and some look blacker/browner then normal (a few look fine as well)

1. Should I repot immediately or wait a few weeks for it to adjust to it's new environment?

2. The brown diseased leaf: I was planning on cutting off the diseased part of that one bad looking leaf and dipping it in cinnamon (which i've read about on this forum). thoughts about this?

3. Same goes for those two little dots on one leaf... do I remove part of the leaf and dip in cinnamon?

4. Pruning the roots: how heavily should I prune?

5. any other advice?

Photos:

{{gwi:170767}}

{{gwi:170768}}

{{gwi:170764}}

{{gwi:170773}}

TIA!

Debbie

Comments (11)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews