SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ray_ratliff

Wild Orchid Photos

ray_ratliff
15 years ago

Here are some pictures of wild Orchids that I found around my grandparentÂs property in North Carolina. These are Cypripedium Acaule (commonly called the "Pink Ladyslipper"). I was very surprised to see this plant while walking down a trial that was either on their property or next to their property (they have 22 acres that is mostly wooded, so there are not any real boundaries to determine whose property it is living on). There was a pleasant scent in the air, after getting on my hands and knees in the mud, I discovered it was these little beauties emitting the sweet fragrance. I was happy to see about 35 clusters of 2 to 8 plants scattered in an area of about 300' x 100'. There were also a few single plants that were scattered about a thousand feet away by the "road" (if you can all that dangerous, slipery thing a road) Here are a couple pictures that you can check out! Enjoy!

{{gwi:170660}}

Close Up

{{gwi:170662}}

Cluster of Plants With Dried Seed Pods

{{gwi:170667}}

Another Cluster of Plants

{{gwi:170671}}

Shot of Mountain Area Where They Were Found

-Ray-

P.S. Before anyone asks if I took any, the answer is No. I could not bloom them anyway living in Florida. Also, I have a long, established history with the TSA. They like to "randomly" pull my luggage for "random" inspections. I would surely get caught even if I were stupid enough to try to take some (and yes, I did have a lovely TSA card inside my checked bag this time. They managed to open the bag with my muddy walking shoes in them & did not place them back inside the plastic bag, smearing muck all over my clothes! GRRR!!).

Comments (14)