SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdp_vienna

Complete Lawn Renovation Process

jdp_vienna
13 years ago

Well, since it's lawn renovation time here in the DC area, I thought I'd post what I am doing to our recently purchased home. Basically, the home is completely renovated inside (down to the studs), but the lawn was not updated. I figured since there are many people asking questions about lawn renovation and the order of operations I would post the steps/time line for my project. I posted this as a reply to another post, but I think it may warrant its own thread. Please feel free to post comments and feedback. I have a ton of pics of this process, but I haven't yet put them up on a site where they are accessible to the public. Let me know if you have any questions or feedback on this process.

----------------------------

I am in the middle stages of completely renovating my 1/4 acre (~5000 sf. of lawn). We just bought the place 8 months ago and the previous owners were terrible people who didn't care for the lawn at all. (sort of a joke) Here is what I have done and will be doing:

1. Round up everything (did this about four weeks ago). Let the whole lawn die. It did. Turned brown and crispy after about two weeks.

2. Mow it to the lowest possible setting and get rid of all of the dead weeds.(no need for me to save them, but you can if you want)

3. Rent an 8 hp rear-tine tiller. The soil was so compacted that it took 3 passes over the entire 5000 sf area to till it down to a depth of 4-6". I could have gone over it again, but I ran out of time. (if you rent on a Friday, you get it all weekend and only pay for one day).

4. Threw away about 10 old sprinkler heads and many feet of old hose that I didn't know was in my yard before I started tilling. Apparently, someone at some time in my home's life actually liked the yard and cared for it. Oh well. The system was very old and the control box and valves had long been removed after the interior was completely remolded. I'll have a new system installed next year when I have more time to run that project.

5. Dug three 16" trenches to bury my downspouts. This involved about 100' of trenching with a shovel. Tip: If you are going to do this, rent a trenching machine!!! Buried the pipe and dug small dry-wells for the emitters. Daylight the one pipe next to the driveway.

The following tasks will be completed over this weekend and the next:

6. Having 25 cubic yards of 50/50 topsoil/compost delivered on Friday.

7. Rented a t-70 bobcat to move and spread the new topsoil around my yard to a depth of ~2".

8. Roll the new topsoil and make sure everything is graded properly and is flat. Not changing the grade (drainage is fine), just applying a uniform new layer of topsoil on top of the already tilled topsoil and rolling.

9. Spread about 100 lbs of Rebel tttf over the rolled soil.

10. Rake the whole mess lightly to ensure good seed/soil contact.

11. Roll (with empty roller) to ensure even BETTER seed/soil contact.

12. Spread Lesco starter fert over the seed/soil

13. Light application of straw (never hay) to retain moisture. Just applying enough so I can still see dirt through the straw.

14. Setup the two Claber 8410 Aquadue Duplo Dual Hose Water Timers at the front and back hose bibs. Set them to water each of the four zones three times per day for 15 minutes. These will be putting water through one and three Gilmore Pattern Master sprinklers.

15. Drink a six pack of Miller Lite and pray pray pray.

Comment (1)