SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjdbike

Help fix dog damage please!?

jjdbike
12 years ago

Hi Folks.

I have 2 German Shepherds. My back yard is low lying, dosen't dain well & has lots of clay.

Believe it or not it looks good other than the outside edge of the fence where the dogs have created a motocross track.

The problem w/ that is it gets very muddy and they track mud inside.

Last late Spring I seeded w/tall fescue, spread spent mushroom soil and reseed over top of it. I watered for a month. It grew and looked great. Until my sprinkelers broke and a record hot & dry summer killed all the new grass.

My lawn service said that the dogs packed the dirt down too much for grass to grow and that w/ rain washed the "dome soil off" & that I wasted my time & $ seeding in the Spring. Here's what they suggested.

Airating, seeding and fertalizing w/ seed starter now (mid Sept). Waiting till mid Oct, spreading spent mushroom soil (to level it off & replace eroded off topsoil) and reseed ontop of that.

To me it sounds like it might be ovekill & I'm concerned that adding soil in Oct might b too late for grass to cover it. If that's tha case I'll have a mud pit till next spring.

What do you think & suggest? I'm willing to do what ever it takes to take one last shot at the lawn w/ the dogs.

Thanks!!!

JD

Comments (3)