SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rgillenjr

5 different types of grass - What to do?

rgillenjr
16 years ago

Hi All,

I live in Northern Virginia and have a yard that is 7 years old. When we moved in, I spread about 2" of Compro just prior to the sod being laid down. I'm sure it was some type of builder grade Fescue. The grass was beautiful for about 3 years. Over the last 7 years, the cable and phone companies have dug in my yard at least 3 to 4 times each. Needless to say, they use different types of grass seed each time they come through and dig up my yard. Very frustrating.

I have been reseeding with Scotts Pure Premium Sunny mix of grass seed for the last 4 years or so. The mixture on the latest bag I purchased indicates:

38.45% Raven Kentucky Bluegrass

24.60% Inspire Perennial Ryegrass

24.51% Divine Perennial Ryegrass

10.63% Courtyard Kentucky Bluegrass

Each bag I purchase has a different variety/kind of KBG and Ryegrass.

I have a sprinkler system and I currently water every 4 days at a rate of about 1 inch. I say "currently" because I used to water every day. The ground beneath the grass was very spongy all the time until I learned from this site (which is excellent by the way) that watering that much was very bad. Since I have started watering much less frequently, the ground has firmed up but the grass is awful. I fertilize four times a year with Scotts products using their schedule on the back of the bag.

I have several things going on in my yard. The two most pressing ones are:

1) As the subject line suggests, I have many types of grass growing in my front yard.

2) The worst problem I am having is a reacurring bad fungus problem turning, what seems to only be, the KBG brown (Brown Patch?) Now it's Kentucky BROWN Grass. LOL. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I know it is some type of fungus because I saw it on all the blades of grass in my yard the morning after a heavy rain. It was white and "fuzzy". It doesn't seem to affect the clumps of fescue though. I have pictures that I will post later.

My questions are:

1) I would like to start over and would like some advice on my approach. I want to use a sod cutter and remove all the existing sod. Then till up and grade flat the ground. Then reseed. Is the Scotts Pure Premium Sunny mix the right mix for my Northern Virginia lawn? I like the look of the thinner blade of this mix. I plan to do this either this fall or next spring.

2) Will the fungus stay in the soil and attack my lawn next year after restoration? Is there a product to till into the soil that would kill or prevent the fungus from returning? What about Scotts Fungicide or the organic route, corn meal? I have used both and the fungus returns each year when the temperature gets above 90 degrees.

3) The fungus is only in my yard and the only difference between my yard and my neighbors is the Compro. Could the Compro be contributing to the fungus?

I realize that's a lot of questions but I want to make sure all the work I have ahead of me is a success. So thanks in advance.

Rich

Comments (17)