SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billhill_gw

I do want to go 100% organic

billhill
16 years ago

Posted by paulinct (My Page) on Hey BillHill, I seem to keep bumping into you on these forums, thank you for all your advice. I would like to go organic but am concerned about crabgrass, which is a major problem in my area. Does corn gluten work for you? I was thinking about starting an organic fertilizer program in spring but putting down a synthetic pre-emergent so that my new grass does not have to compete with CG until it fills in, and then ditching that stuff next year if the lawn matures as I hope.

I do want to go 100% organic, but am thinking that I need to get a thick lawn in place before I can do that with any hope of success. Previous attempts have been dismal failures, and I am so tired of battling that stuff. What did you do to control weeds (especially grassy annuals) the year after you renovated?

I usually have a good amount of homebrew compost on hand if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Paul

You are getting there Paul. YouÂve got the right idea, and other will be reading this post too. Transition Slowly to organics. The first spring after my renovation I used a combo fertilizer/crabgrass preventer (dimension I think was the active ingredient.) I experimented with soybean meal and corn meal the first year. I also spot sprayed a little with weed be gone. This is important: Every week spot in my lawn got sprinkled with compost. Slow growing - compost, dog pee spot - compost, compaction problem area - compost, dead spot for unknown reason - compost area affected with or recovering from powdery mildew - compost. I also mulched mowed most of my fallen leaves into the lawn and let them decompose in place. This Spring similar to last, Dimension crabgrass preventer without fertilizer available at Lesco, and all organic fertilization with soybean meal and corn meal. Almost zero weeds in the front lawn. I havenÂt bought into the CGM for weed control yet. I might at some future date, but I think Ill use dimension again next year, maybe for the last time. I hope I have answered some of your questions Paul, Please feel free to checkout the Organic Lawn care forum as well as the Soil Compost and Mulch forums. Lots of good information there about Organics. Bill Hill

Comment (1)