SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cocoabeachlorax

Anyone willing to help me choose my first orchid ?

cocoabeachlorax
13 years ago

Hello,

I'm in zone 9B, Cocoa Beach, Central Florida. I have done some preliminary research on orchids and I am having hard time not just diving right in and buying one.

I believe that my back yard may be a good site for growing orchids. I have a nice canopy of Sea Grapes and Schefflera trees that provides dappled shade throughout the day. There is no direct sunlight back there, is that good ?

I don't believe there is enough space due to existing roots for in the ground orchids, so I'm thinking I'll need to hang the pots ?

Although much of Central Florida has had some rain, my exact location seems to be in a bit of a rain "donut hole" even when the area has good rain fall so I will need to irrigate supplementally.

So, do you have a particular orchid species that you would recommend for a beginner ? Type of pot to select (please be as specific as possible and please do "talk down" to me, I have very limited knowledge about orchids) ? Type of potting mix ? Frequency of watering this species ? Frequency and specific feedings recommended ?

In general, what do you wish you knew when you first started growing orchids (other than how addicting it seems to be ;) ) ?

Also, at what temperatures would I need to pull whatever orchid you recommend into the house over night ? What pests must I look out for ?

Thank you so much to anyone willing to be my orchid God Father !

Comments (7)