SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildhyacinth

Can anyone help me ID my first Tillandsia?

wildhyacinth
8 years ago

Hi, everyone! I got this Tillandsia at a fancy-shmancy grocery store. It was unlabeled as to species, and no amount of googling around has allowed me to ID it. It is my first Tillandsia and I kind of bought it on a whim, so I really have no idea what I'm doing, LOL. It has silvery, velvety leaves with purple tips. I think it looks a *little* like T. ionantha "Purple Velvet," but those usually show up in my Google image searches as being a redder, warmer purple, whereas mine is a pretty cool, bluish-purple at the tips. You'll see some damage to leaf tips...it was like that when I bought it. Honestly, sometimes I see plants at stores looking sad and I buy them because I want to save them, even if I don't know how. She just looked kind of sad and forlorn. Anyway, here's some photos:

When I bought it they told me to mist it once a week, or to dunk it at the same interval. I was doing misting only at first, but then thought I'd try dunking. So glad I did! The plant looked soooo much happier after dunking. The leaves were firmer and not so floppy, the purple in the tips came out more brightly. So yeah, I'm doing regular dunkings with occasional mistings in between now. I keep it in a small fishbowl with a wide opening at the top, pebbles on the bottom. All of the windows in my apartment are west-facing; it gets indirect light during most of the day, but it's far enough from the window that it doesn't get hit with too much of that direct light in the afternoon.

Someone at a greenhouse I was at recently suggested I use orchid fertilizer at half-strength in my dunking water. Is this a good idea? Haven't been able to find a fertilizer specifically for air plants at any store, but I have some orchid fertilizer handy in my cabinet. Haven't given it any fertilizer yet; trying to be conservative and cautious about that.

Any ideas on how long it will take to bloom, or how fast I should expect it to grow?

Thank you!! =)

Comments (11)

Sponsored