SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liv2learn

mid-season blues-squash problems

liv2learn
16 years ago

I was determined to improve on last year's garden and I thought I was doing much better until I got back from a 5-day vacation to find things going haywire in the garden. We had a lot of humidity and high temps while we were away, followed by several days of rain. Now I am seeing some early blight starting on the tomatoes and peppers, the broccoli (covered with row covers) were loaded with cabbage loopers, and now the squashes, which were growing very well, are starting to have a variety of leaf discolorations.

Everything is watered with soaker hoses and mulched with straw. The squashes are in brand-new raised lasagna-style beds. They were growing like gangbusters until now. I have an assortment of summer and winter squashes, cucumbers and pumpkins in two long beds. I have attached a link to photos of the leaf issues. I think there may be more than one thing going on with these plants because some leaves are turning pale yellow all at once, some are edged with brown and yellow, and some are turning yellow in spots, as in a blight. No matter what is happening, most of the plants are having a yellowing issue. And it's raining again!! So I have to wait to do anything beyond removing discolored leaves. Can anyone help diagnose the problems and save the squashes? I'd be really depressed to have to pull them all up and go squashless after such a promising start.

Here is a link that might be useful: discolored squash leaves

Comments (4)