SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

Catasetum species questions

whitecat8
14 years ago

Here's my big challenge right now.

1. Should this Catasetum pileatum be watered now? ItâÂÂs got two fairly large new growths, but I canâÂÂt see any of the new roots. The two smallest new growths are just tiny nubs. The largest new growth is taller than its pb and is getting crinkly new leaves, maybe from lack of water. When the plantâÂÂs pulled out of the pot, all the visible roots are from last year.

2. Which pbs should be included/excluded when repotting?

3. In the 4th picture, can the pb that fell off maybe develop a new growth? (More may fall off during repotting.) If so, what propagation method would you suggest? Summer temps are intermediate to warm, and humidity can be quite low. Light is E/SE, and the pb can be outside or inside, whichever might be better. Outside, the light will be cut by 50%.

Some background - Last June, I sprayed the Ctsm with bleach, rather than natural insecticide. Ouch. ThatâÂÂs why the large growth in the 2nd picture is dying and staked and wrapped with twine. No flowers last summer.

Three months later, the silly plant had EIGHT new growths. Bleach as growth stimulator??

I wintered it as usual. So far this spring, it has 7 new growths. One older pb has fallen off, two are brown and shriveled, and a couple more are hanging on by a thread.

In bloom, 7/07:

{{gwi:164142}}

After spraying with bleach, rather than natural insecticide, 6/20/08:

{{gwi:164144}}

9/24/08, 8 new growths:

{{gwi:164146}}

5/29/09, shot from above. 7 new growths. Virtually all the roots you can see are from last year:

{{gwi:164148}}

5/29/09, the largest new growth and its pb. The growth is taller than its pb. Crinkly leaves. CanâÂÂt judge the length of the roots:

{{gwi:164150}}

5/29/09, second largest new growth and its pb. CanâÂÂt judge the length of the roots. The growth isnâÂÂt half the height of its pb:

{{gwi:164152}}

Thanks, Whitecat8

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!