SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

Catasetum pileatum (Imperial x Pierre et Caudet)

whitecat8
16 years ago

7 blossoms! This may mean I can winter Ctsm, Cyc., etc. and have them bloom the next year. Woo hoo! Whitecat8

{{gwi:177145}}

{{gwi:1116048}}

{{gwi:1116049}}

Comments (18)

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Hey, What a beauty! Those look like very large flowers. And that's a very healthy looking well grown plant too!

Probably fragrant? You may have to catch it at the right time of day.

Now this is my kind of plant :)
    Carolyn

• claritamaria
    16 years ago

WoW! Nice! The blooms look like apples. fantasric colours Are Cateasetum deciduos? I seem to remember a pic of carolyn's where they were in a container. Looked like they were tucked in for winter. I'd also like to know if its fragrant.

How tall are the leaves?

Clara

• clintdawley
    16 years ago

Lovely.

I LOVE the shape and size of the flowers. Good job!

• sdahl
    16 years ago

Simply gorgeous!! Great growing there!

Sharon

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, folks. I wasn't sure this one would make it through the winter, much less bloom.

Clara, the whole plant is 13" tall, w/ the longest leaf being 8." Flowers are about 4"x4," and they have a lovely scent.

Catasetae are deciduous, and my big question last fall was if I could provide cool enough temps and enough light over the winter for them to rebloom. I lost 2 - one to the cats (grrr), but the other 4 made it. I'm thrilled.

Whitecat8

• sambac
    16 years ago

Beautiful and love the short stature of the plant.

• risingpower1
    16 years ago

Certainly has nice colouring and they certainly do look like red apples.

Congrats on the blooms.

RP1

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, RP1,

Nice to hear from you. The red apple part doesn't strike me the way it does you and others, but they sure look exotic.

Please keep us posted on your plants in your new place. I miss your comments.

WC8

• mark15
    16 years ago

WC8 : that is one heck of a bloom spike and the flowers are incredible, the name for it is pile imp X pierre couret---a rose by any other name----its an imperial crossed with another imperial----you should get that one judged it might win an award

mark
    p.s. I am the papa

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, Mark,

C'mon, details! And thanks for the nice comments.

WC8

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Yeah, c'mon, Mark, fess up!

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

And Papa Mark...

How long should the flowers last? Mine were in good shape for 4 days and then started turning brown around the edges. On day 8, one flower was crumpled and on the floor, w/ all other flowers withering. Today's day 11, and I was able to pull off all but one of the withered flowers.

I sure hope it's something that can be fixed.

Thanks, WC8

• cbarry
    16 years ago

WC8- Unfortunately, the flowers on cycs & ctsms are short lived. Some up to 2 wks in my experience, often just a wk at max, but nothing close to 'long lived'.

c.

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

But 4 days?? Does that sound a little brief for the flowers to be "perfect"? WC8

• mark15
    16 years ago

WC8: 4 days does seem brief, maybe you jostled some pollen when you moved the plant---that will cause the plant to lose a flower in a heartbeat

as for details a female pileatum flower popped up and I wanted to improve the flower quality and I took a shot----both of the plants had good red color but the flower display was what I was trying to affect---one had short compact flowers (the pileatum) and the others flower stem was longer but too open in flower display so I crossed them, gave the seed pod to jem---and looking at your results it came out pretty good
    this is the pollen parent

this is the female parent

• whitecat8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mark - I can't imagine what it must be like to create a plant, much less this knock-out.

Is this the first one you've seen?

So, is mine mislabelled?

Maybe moving the plant several times shortened the life of the flowers. Next time, it'll stay put, once the flowers start opening. Thanks for the tip.

WC8

• mark15
    16 years ago

WC8: if it is the plant ( it sure looks like it has the females characteristics--with a strange expansum look to it--then it is mislabeled--I only have two of them in my collection--not sure why I only got two--gene must have sold a lot of them----anytime you get the opportunity ( a female flower comes up) then do it---just try to imagine a mate that would improve the flower color, flower count, flower display, so on and so on
    mark
    ps keep good pollen handy in the fridge

• carolinn_on
    16 years ago

Don't know how I missed this one. Those are gorgeous blooms! I'm so used to seeing pileatum in "green".

Carol