SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenfharr

Weeds in St Augustine grass

karenfharr
15 years ago

Hi,

I just fired my 3rd lawn treatment company in 6 years. The weeds are worse than in most of our neighbors' yards, and they don't use any companies to treat it.

It's primarily varieties of St. Augustine, 10,000 sf, some in tree shade, some in sun, some in both. Some areas have been resodded and/or plugged to fill in bare spots, so probably a mixture of Floratam, Palmetto, DelMar... what Home Depot sells in Clearwater.

Some areas are nice, but others are mostly a mixture of numerous types of weeds, including sedge(s).

It tested high for nematodes by the county extension service a few years back.

I don't want to resod... too expensive, would disturb surface tree roots in large areas that are part sun/part shade under tree canopies, it just gets sick and dies eventually, at least in patches, and then weeds take its place.

My latest idea (saw the seed in the store) is to seed the bare areas and patchy areas where I can pull up weeds with Bahia grass seed (or some other grass for this area that can be seeded rather than sodded/plugged?). Will this succeed in making those areas more grass than weeds?

Reading about Bahia grass, though, sounds like many products that I'd use on St. Augustine can't be used on Bahia, which might complicate matters. And it's supposed to be mowed an inch shorter than St. Augustine (3 inches vs. 4 inches).

What are your thoughts?

If it's a decent plan, should I wait 'till fall/winter to use crabgrass pre-emergent and wait 'till the crabgrass areas die in the winter, and plant seed in the spring? Or do I have enough time now to do it and take advantage of the rainy season we're in?

Sorry so long... probably still left out some vital pieces of info, I'm sure!

Karen Harris

Comments (4)