SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ydfz

is this a suitable all purpose liquid fertilizer...& how to use?!

ydfz
11 years ago

hello all,

i am starting my first large gardening endeavor this fall (primarily containers...sub irrigated planters to be exact), and am now turning my attention to fertilizers. cost and simplicity important factors for a novice like me.

not sure on the specifics of usage, but i do know that i want a granular fertilizer (to be mixed into the soil prior to planting), plus a liquid fertilizer (for supplemental feeding as necessary). i have procured a 20 lb bag of espoma garden-tone granular fertilizer to satisfy the former requirement (3-4-4; includes hydrolyzed feather meal, pasteurized poultry manure, cocoa meal, bone meal, alfalfa meal, greensand, humates, sulfate of potash, and sulfate of potash magnesia).

now here's the trouble. i know very little about organic liquid fertilizers, and my long search yielded a local product called "liquid fish blend" from medina brand. n-p-k is 2-3-2 and it includes: "mixture of fish solubles, kelp extracts, molasses, apple cider vinegar and leonardite ore." i picked up a gallon for $20.00

does this sound like a reasonable product for my purposes? i've never heard of apple cider vinegar being used in a fertilizer before. also, why does it include molasses? i thought that was for foliar feeding?

finally, i am not sure how to feed when the time comes. do i water it in? do i spritz it on the leaves? do i drench the soil right after planting my seeds, or wait a while? or am i going about this fertilizing thing the wrong way entirely?

help me please...you are my only hope! the nursery staff was unhelpful.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting