SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gmatx_gw

It Rained Last Night and Other Oddities

gmatx zone 6
10 years ago

We really need to send our weather forecasters back to school - LOL. All our local stations (3) predicted that the front located in NM would not make it to the central Texas Panhandle and that the string of showers located in the southern part of the Texas Panhandle would only produce "small, very scattered showers if they make it up here with most of the showers being in the eastern Panhandle". Well, it started raining before absolute dark last night and must have rained somewhat gently all night. When youngest son came down this morning for coffee, he read the rain gauge on his way in and there was - drum roll - 1 1/2" in it!! Thank you Lord.

Later, the Heathen Boys as Emma the house cat calls them- Bo and Buster the Blue Heelers -started barking. When I went to the back door the second time to tell them "no" I looked toward the south and in our side yard was a young buck. He took off out behind our windbreak trees and high-tailed it toward the front pasture gate. I stood and watched him run through our pasture and jump the next two fences - just beautiful and graceful. The closest area for the deer around here is about 2 1/2 miles southwest of us. That is the first time I have ever seen one on our property.

I really believe that the building development out here is pushing the deer up out of that canyon, even though the houses are up on the flat land. And now, the north half of our section has sold and they are building on the north side of the road that runs east-west along our property.

Progress doesn't bother me, but what does is that some people (specifically in my mind the ones who think it is fashionable to live in the country in named developments) do not understand or even give a thought to the fact that once farm land is removed from production, it does not return to that purpose. Our water is scarce out here and that really, really bothers me.

Okay, enough good news followed by grousing. Have a great day everyone.

Has anyone heard from Anneliese yet?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions