SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slimer303

Grandma's Plant/Tree Igor

slimer303
16 years ago

Hello - I'm hoping someone can help me identify a plant that my grandmother left behind when she passed. I find it hard to describe even though it is nothing like any houseplants I've ever seen.

I don't know how old it is but it is about the size of my Spider Palm, if not taller (winds a bit and needs a stake for support). The leaves cluster together at the end of the "rope", and grow then shed much like a palm tree does in forming its trunk. The leaves are eye shaped, with a short stem but all growing from the very tip of the "rope". They have somewhat of a tiger pattern, two different shades of green. There are now 3 main "ropes" or stems protruding from the soil, and the two more mature ones have split like "Y"s to for a separate rope.

I want to re-pot the plant but want to find out more about what it needs to thrive before I do that. When it first came home, it did not do too great in full sunlight. Since lowering the blinds it's done much better and new, waxy leaves are blossoming on all ends. I linked to the pics I have since they were too big for this forum. We've dubbed the plant "Igor" for its twisted and "deformed" look. Hope someone will recognize it!

Thanks for your help!

Jose

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of Igor

Comments (4)