SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdk3000

cover crops and getting rid of weeds

mdk3000
18 years ago

As I've explained to the lawn care forum, I have bought a yard that was neglected (read the only thing done was mowing) for 22 years. All told I'm looking at 9000 square feet of area that is at least 80% weeds (clover, black medic, dandylions and something that comes up as single broad leaves aver 5 inches high that are light green and stick straight up). I've been considering solarization or massive weed b gone as there is no way that the grass will ever overtake the weeds (like I said I have MOSTLY weeds by a huge margin with a couple of square feet of actual grass, not grass with some weeds). However I read the following in the Organic Gardening FAQ and had some questions. "H. All weeds - This unknown class of green manures recycle much needed foliage and root OM and nutrients back to the topsoil.

All cover crops should be either tilled in, mowed down almost to the ground, or smothered by organic mulches before they go to seed, to prevent sprouting later in the year and becoming a weed themselves."

I was wondering if there is anyway to use the clover as green manure. I mean is it possible to kill the clover and feed the soil instead of damaging the soil to kill the clover? Can clover be scraped off? Can it be smothered? I ask because there is no way to manually pick up the millions of clovers and they break off anyway so you don't even get the roots on the handful that you pull. The clover is made up of continuous giant matts with those other broad weeds sticking out but no bare ground to be seen anywhere. The clover wouldn't even be so hidious if it weren't for the other REALLY noticeable broadleaf weeds sticking up by the thousands. I'd like to avoid chemicals but don't see much hope of that given the overwhelming infestation. thanks

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022