SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leaveswave

Belated sunflower request for my husband

leaveswave
15 years ago

I think I can write about this with some composure. Not at all serious to some, but I'm still having flashbacks to a very scary image. [note: nothing too graphic]

My husband was relaxing in his hammock chair. Chair hangs in the porch which has a concrete floor. Chair falls, and so does he--3 feet down and hitting his back and head. He yells--loudly, which he never does usually--thank goodness I'm home and come running. He can't move for several minutes. I'm telling him we have to go to the emergency room and get an x-ray. He says he just wants to lie down for a few minutes and gets up to go in the house. I'm following, and about to insist. (He argues with me more than he should, because I'm usually right, but eventually will let himself be convinced.)

He walks a few yards and collapses. That's when I start worrying seriously. I rush up to him, and he has a little spasm/seizure. He's staring at the sky, won't respond and is making a horrible sound in his throat. At this point, I'm in full-fledged raging terror. Never felt so helpless and scared in my life. This is the moment of nightmare and thank you mother for teaching me how to be effective in a crisis.

Make sure he's breathing, grab a phone and call 911. Long story short, he's got a cracked vertebra and concussion. By the time the radiology report comes back I can lighten up a bit. Doc said, good news, CAT scan shows he had a brain and it's normal. Me: Oh, then something IS wrong; it wasn't normal before.

Priorities have been re-aligned in my life, let me tell you. Just wish the universe could have contented itself with sending me a telegram.

(very deep breath)

Comments (14)

Sponsored
More Discussions