SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
learningaswegrow

Manure and lots of water -is this bad?

13 years ago

Hey y'all. I have been lurking these boards for a few years now as my husband and I learn gardening here in the south (Coastal SC) compared to the north (Extreme Northern NY). I have been able to answer most all of my questions just by reading other threads but not this time. So, I guess its time for me to jump in and say "hey!"

Even longer-story-short... We have a vegetable garden where there have been goats and horses for years. The horses were penned away from the garden area this past winter (not quite 6-mos before working and planting the garden).

All of the plants and (the good) seeds we planted have taken off and done great. They all look wonderfully healthy and the only issue we see with them so far is the amount of rain we have had -lead to shallow root systems that the corn is not handling well. The other issue is weeds (hello!? When they say that horse manure leaves the seeds behind, they are NOT kidding!) which we have been battling continually with Vinegar and Organic Preen.

Ok... Hopefully thats enough background. My big question right now is...

Is it ok that there has been so much manure in that area that is now mixing with the rainwater and forming puddles? The puddles do have a stank of manure/urine but there are still tadpoles and grass/weeds growing in them.

We are concerned about eating the vegetables from that section of the garden if there is a lot of bacteria there. Is there a way to tell?

Any thoughts, ideas, concerns or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Here is a link that might be useful: View our garden here

Comments (2)