SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Anyone with high BP?

catherinet
17 years ago

HI everyone,

I hope I'm allowed to post such messages.

I recently got off my beta blocker to control my BP after being on it for 6 years. I was thinking I was okay now, since it had been a month.....but yesterday it suddenly shot through the roof. Time for dieting. I hate thinking I need to go back on it. But I'm not going to be stupid. I'll give it maybe a month of trying to live healthier, and if it doesn't budge, I go back on it (Toprol). Was just wondering if any of the rest of you are dealing with high BP and how you handle it.

Getting old definitely isn't for sissies!!

Comments (32)

• mamabear_on
    17 years ago

I am also on a beta blocker ( atenolol) but when I wanted to try living without the meds my Doc just reduced the dosage to see how I would react...had to up it again. I don't know why your Doctor would stop the meds completely without reducing the dosage first. That sounds a little dangerours to me.

What type of diet/exercise regiment does the doctor have you on. Do you have other conditions that would prevent you from being more active. I try to take the dog for walks to get my exercise.

I have had high blood pressure since I delivered my son 11 yrs ago. The doctors don't know why my BP went up during the delivery and has stayed elivated ever since and I was 36 at the time with no history of anything....just on of those things I guess.

I would ask your doctor to reduce your dosage, if possible, maybe watch my diet and exercise, see how my pressure is and maybe your meds can be reduces some more or completely if all goes well but be prepared that this will take some time to accomplish.

• ademink
    17 years ago

catherine, i dont have high BP (surprised w/ my salt consumption) but just wanted to say that if you decide to try to "diet", do weight watchers! their new core plan is really easy and realistic!!! good luck! :)

• Related Discussions

Anyone here with high blood pressure??

Q

Comments (2)
    My husband had high blood pressure, which also runs in his family. He was overweight too. His doctor put him on the Protein Power diet and told him if he didn't lower his BP in 6 weeks, he would have to go on meds. DH was very good on the diet (we are doing it together) and in 6 weeks, he had lost over 20 pounds and his BP was well within normal range. Also his cholesterol profile improved quite a bit (wasn't horrible before, but much better now). As of right now, DH doesn't do any exercise at all. But I am going to sign us both up for some sort of martial arts class, which he said he would do. I was pretty much set against him using BP meds due to all the side effects, plus he really needed to lose weight, so I was very pleased with the results of this diet. BTW- I have lost almost 20 pounds and gone down from a size 14 to a size 8 on the same diet. I have a very active job, which helps me stay in shape (I'm a vet tech). I also don't mind the heat and humidity so I walk the dogs much more often than DH does. I don't have high BP (just the opposite in fact) but the diet sure did jump-start my weight loss- 13 pounds in the first 2 weeks encouraged me to stay on the diet. I go in for a physical soon, so I'll report my BP and other health indicators.
    ...See More

Can BP medicines make you fat?

Q

Comments (1)
    Most people gain weight as they age. There has to be a change in eating habits to offset this, or there will be a gain. It will be slow, but sure!! And it's hard to get rid of! Another thing is that some, but not all, people with high BP retain fluid. Are you on any kind of diurectic? In other words, you gain weight from retaining fluid or too much food as you get older. You need to drink a certain amount of fluid so that leaves you with the unpleasant task of cutting back more on your calories. Good luck!
    ...See More

My BP is high

Q

Comments (6)
    I had trouble with high BP with my second and third pregnancy. I was put on bed rest for 6 weeks with the second baby and had to just take it easy for the third. The most important things is to relax as much as you can. The more upset and worried you get the worse your blood pressure can get. I feel for you,it is always so scary when you are pregnant and things happen that make you worry about the baby. They were worried about toxemia with my last pregnancy but everything went well anyways. I wasn't supposed to have any more babies because my body is pretty much wore out after having 3 babies in 5 years, so had my tubes tied after Hayden was born. But guess what, I am 7 weeks pregnant. They did all the surgery right but they have told me it is just about a miracle that I became pregnant. So we are excited about the baby even though Hayden is only 8 months right now. It is weird to hold a baby in my lap and know that another tiny baby is growing in my belly:) If you need to talk, just email me at girlsingardens @ yahoo.com Stacie girlsingardens
    ...See More

Blood Pressure

Q

Comments (24)
    Ashli, if this is a sudden onset of high blood pressure problems, then you are going to have to go see a Doctor. If it's an ongoing problem you still need to see a Physician to determine what the underlying problem might be. My oldest child had to have surgery to correct an aortic valve when he was 17, he started having really high blood pressure when he turned 11 and it took that long to find the problem, but he would have died without this surgery so I'm very grateful for seeing a doctor who knew what to do. My point is that we would never have known about this without the doctor's help. I'm not trying to scare you but you have to know that if your blood pressure gets up too high you could have a stroke or worse, and you don't want to have to deal with that so just try not to panic and go see a doctor. Take a list of questions you might have with you and ask him about all of your concerns including if you might be a candidate for holistic treatment. You never know unless you ask.
    ...See More
  • catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi mamabear...
    You know, I was just reading on a Hypertension site, and several women mentioned that they developed it right after the birth of one of their children too. How curious! I should have explained myself better.......I took 2 months to slowly come off of it. My doctor knew I was doing it and was fine with it. My pressures had been very good for the 6 years I was on it.
    I'm on Toprol, and it did wonders for my heartrate and BP, but after awhile, I realized that I had become really, really dumb! I couldn't remember anything and couldn't think straight. I guess this is a common side-effect, and why lots of people quit it. And it made me sooooooooo tired all the time. Plus, it made me hungry 24 hours a day.
    I had tried to come down on it once before, but even though I did it slowly, my heartrate went crazy, so I went back up on it. Having a fast pounding heartrate is no fun for very long!
    So the last time I tried to come down on it, I went VERY slowly. I took 2 months to slowly decrease it, with no problems. Then, a month ago, I was off it completely. I was doing fine until yesterday, when I felt absolutely horrible......sweaty, shaky, weak. I took my BP and it was 150/100.
    I'm overweight and of course ate way too much over Christmas. I had knee surgery in July, but have been trying to use the exercise bike consistently. I'm having foot problems, so I can't walk alot.
    One thing that concerns me is that I've heard that when we take beta blockers, our bodies actually grow new receptors. Lots of people have fast heartrates for a month or 2 after stoping the drug, because of this.
    I can tolerate a faster heartrate, but the high BP is unacceptable.
    I have heard that some people are just slow to have their pressures go back up. Darn. I was naiively thinking I didn't need any medicine. But I do wonder if taking the medicine actually makes us dependent on it....forever. :(
    So......down on the salt, and carbs and up on the veggies. It seems to take something like this for me to make changes.
    Does your beta blocker have side-effects? I'm serious......even on just 50 mg of Toprol, I became soooooo stupid!!
    I'm going to give my diet and exercise a couple weeks, and if my BP hasn't budged, then I'll start back up slowly on the Toprol. Hopefully I can find a dosage of it that keeps my BP down, just short of making me stupid!

I know there are other meds, but this beta blocker has helped in other areas......like my anxiety, my migraines, etc., so I really want it to work. But I realize I need to get healthier too.
    Thanks for your input!

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Andrea,
    I'll check that out. WW always seemed to be the most reasonable of alot of them.
    I eat lots of good healthy stuff.......but I also spend alot of time "grazing" on not so good stuff! I'm a real addict. Its going to be a challenge! Thanks for your suggestion!

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mamabear........I thought you might like to read these posts from other women who developed HTN right after giving birth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Postpartum hypertension

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

Hey there. I had my BP problems during pregnancy. They made me control that and my weight with a high protein/low carb diet. Has your doctor sent you to a dietician? Over the years that has been the only way I have been able to control the weight and the BP and the rapid heart beat that seems to come with it. I had surgery in February to get my spine repaired and have to keep up the exercise to stay off a cane. Those Abs are not just to look pretty. You might look into Pilates or Yoga or one of the other low impact exercise programs. Best of luck. Sandy

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Sandy,
    "Abs" and "pretty" are not 2 words I ever use together, in reference to mine! lololol! In fact.....I'm not sure I even have any abs! Can you be born without them?? ;)
    Thanks for your suggestions.

• comettose
    17 years ago

Is there a place you can swim? Swimming is total body exercise without the weight bearing stress on your joints or feet, plus it is relaxing and fun. Stretching your body is also a great way to limber up and feel better.

My BP is 120/80 and my doctor has me on a daily water pill to keep it around there or lower. CT

• mamabear_on
    17 years ago

Thanks Catherinet, very interesting site, alot of common eliments and it makes me wonder why it isn't being investigated more closely.

I had low bp before and during the pregnancy and then during the delivery it spiked and has remained high ever since. I don't think that there is a link between breastfeeding and high bp. Also when I weened my son I started having problems with my thyroid and have to take meds for that as well and when we wanted another child I was adviced not to get pregnant again because of my age at the time (38) and the fact that my bp was high and my thyroid no longer functioned. The docs also to told me that all this combined would make it very, very if not impossible to get pregnant and the risks to me are very high. So we decided not to have another one, but we had not been using any birth control and I was already pregnant. I was due Dec 25 and delivered a healthy girl on Dec 10. I did not have any problems with my bp during the pregnancy, in fact I was off all meds except thyroid. Bp was up after the delivery and has remained elevated since and she just celebrated her 9th bd.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi mamabear,
    I guess that little girl of your's was just meant to be!
    I asked myself the same question after reading that site about so many women having the same problem after delivery. It makes me mad. You know if it was a man's problem......it probably would have been figured out by now.
    It seems like a couple smart docs together could figure it out......
    Hmmmm....here's an idea.......why don't you stay pregnant forever??? No, I guess that's not a great idea. lol!

I took that spike in BP as a sign that I really did need to cut back on my salt and eating. Actually, my pressure has been fine yesterday and today. I find it all very strange. I even considered that I ate something that caused this terrible 2 day spike.
    Unfortunately, since perimenopause started (10 years ago), nothing in my body makes any sense!!
    P.S. Tell your daughter happy belated birthday!

• mamabear_on
    17 years ago

I will let her know.

Yes we are lucky to have her. We have 4 children, the oldest is 24, 18, 11 and then 9 and I have a grandson who will be 4 on the 24th.

When we tried for the last one both my husband and I wanted something different. The first 2 all have dark hair and brown eyes and I have blond hair and blue eyes and when we decided to try for the last one all I wanted was one child with blond hair and blue eyes...didn't matter if it was a boy or a girl because I already had one of each ( blended family) and my husband wanted a girl because he had a boy. Well we both got our wish and the pregnancy was uneventful...thank God.

She is making us pay for it though....LOL

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Hey! Don't ya know ponds and pets are supposed to be relaxing and help lower BP? Just ask CD3 or me or ademink or...well, anyone! Lol!

I have high BP too, chemically controlled. But there's nothin' better than sittin' by the waterfall with a glass of wine (just one mind you), running your fingers through the soft fur of a loved one to lower your BP or heart rate! (that would be right after your 2 mile walk and before your 200 calorie supper of raw carrots)

Seriously Cath, my close friend has had similar problems with her BP meds. Keep questioning your doctor, there are lots of alternative meds AND alternative TO meds out there, and what was right several years ago may be old news now. Hope you feel better.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mamabear........I think all our children make us pay for it!! lol!

Sarah.........lol on the 2 mile walk and supper of raw carrots! I was thinking about things, and I think I definitely need a greenhouse-type room IN the house, so I can continue to sit by a little pond all winter long! Wouldn't that be cool?? It would sure keep them endorphins commin'!
    My 2 pets (Boooger the cat, and Suzi the dog) DO give me lots of pleasure. But they are also the source of my greatest frustrations too! lol (along with my 2 kids!!).
    But in the end.........I would rather have them and have the frustrations than not to have them!
    This recent BP problem has made me have greater resolve to become healthier. I suppose, in the end, that's alot easier than dealing with side effects of the drugs. (At least that's what I'm saying now.....when I can't see the chocolate cake). :)

• koijoyii
    17 years ago

Guess I have to chime in here. I have had high blood pressure for a while now but was able to control it with diet and exercise. My doctor started me on a water pill. I think it's hydoclorithyizide (call it hct) last summer. Beta blockers are a "no-no" for anyone with asthma. They may not be able to bring you out of an asthma attack. Just went for blood work before Christmas my bp was fine, bad cholesterol was bad, potassium was good. My doctor told me to try to control my bad cholesterol with diet and exercise for a month (walking dog), then sent me for more blood work. Thank God I am not a salt lover. Results: bad cholesterol not too bad but still on the higher side was advised to keep exercising and watch my diet. Potassium: very low, almost life threatening low. That must have been why I haven't been able to sleep because my legs ache at night. Why can't my doctor ever call me with all good news. Looks like my anemia is gone since I am in menopause. That is good news because I have been an anemic since the day I was born so I don't have to take the iron pill anymore. Let's see I can deduct one pill from my morning cup, but now I have to add two more one for potassium + folic acid (dr's advice). This was after I had to add acidolphillus (had a bout with thrush over the holidays from my Advair discus [inhaling steroids]). I begged her not to give me a drug for my cholesterol. My sister and I always say "the older you get the more pills you have to add to your cup." To date I take nine pills in the morning and seven at night. I always seem to get depressed when I have to add another pill to my cups. But on the flip side I imagine there are many people out there that take more pills daily than I do.

Jenny

• mamabear_on
    17 years ago

Jenny, I think I would be full from all the pills...just kidding....LOL

So far my cholesterol has always been very good and so has everything else, but I am 48 and I am not in menopause yet...well starting with some changes...can't be helped at this age, but I am still like clockwork...hubby thinks we can add one more kid in there before it is to late.....I told him we would be divorcing first...LOL

I tell myself everyday that I have to start walking the dog and getting more execise. I really started watching my diet since I got this office job. I used to work as a border guard and was always active, now I sit in an office at my desk all day and have gained 20 lbs in the last year...not good and I keep telling myself that my children still need me for a while and I need to do what I can to make sure that happens....I am reflecting on all this as I sit her and eat a Mcdonalds bacon and egg mcmuffin with cheese....LOL

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Lol at the McMuffin, I'm partial to mine with sausage, but I only eat about 1 a month...fast food for lunch is another story! But I'm working on it.

Now let's not forget about our bones either. There's no history of osteoporosis in my family, and my mom's bones are great, but my sister has severe osteoporosis in her hips (no more roller blading for her!) 1st diagnosed at age 42, well before menopause. She's active, slim, and eats right, and for the past 3 years she's been on a drug trial through Mayo and is no worse. And my bone density test showed I had mild changes at age 41, slightly worse at age 42. So I've been taking Miacalcin for 4 years (and calcium supplements of course). Even pre-menopausal women MUST have a bone density test (Dexa-scan) done!! At least for a baseline! No way I want to do the broken hip thing anytime in the near future...or later for that matter :)

My one other thought here though. What ever your weight or BP or whatever - don't get obsessive about it - be who you are, and as healthy and happy as you can be in your own way. Not everyone is a size 6, and if you garden, walk, actually work out, or whatever, lowering your stress will do more for your health than a lot of meds (especially most so-called diet pills).

(Sorry, I know...lighten UP, Sarah!)

• lefd05
    17 years ago

Not everyone can control their BP with diet and exercise. There are genetics at work that have other plans regardless of how you take care of yourself.
    I have to stay in good shape because I'm in EMS and Fire and I also work part time as an aircraft rescue firefighter. You have to stay in good shape and eat pretty well. I'm 48 and its not easy to do anymore. I still cannot keep my blood pressure down. Right now it won't go down even with the meds. Some of the meds the doc has tried with me make me cough constantly and I can't take them. Others will get the BP down but they make me so sluggish I can't function. The doc put me back on Hydrochlorathiazide with a beta blocker again but its not putting a dent in the BP. Its pretty frustrating. I'm going back to the doc again next week and I know she's not going to be a happy camper when she sees my BP is still out of sight. My mother's side of the family had high BP and all kinds of problems. I know that is a big part of the problem for me.
    So watch yourself carefully. You may not be able to control your BP with diet and exercise. Sometimes you just have to have the meds whether you like it or not.:)

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi lefd,
    Just be sure you're going to a doc who really knows how to handle BP. Not all docs are created equal.
    Good luck in finding something that will work. With your line of work, you probably can't afford to have your BP go up alot under stress.
    Also......do you check your BP at home? Some of us always have high BP at the doc's office, but its normal at home. Is your cuff the right size for you?
    Good luck with trying to get it down.

• lefd05
    17 years ago

I really like my doctor. She's really good about listening and very thorough. I feel very comfortable with her.

I check my BP nearly every day. I'm around the fire station at least once a day at some point and I usually check mine with one of the cardiac monitors on the ambulances.

• sockmonkeyz6
    17 years ago

I have high BP, I have had it for at least 10 years. Felt so awful on inderal, a betta blocker, quit that, Took Ziac and Norvasc together, wanted to sleep ALL the time. Lost weight went without anything for a year, then it shot up to what my Dr. said were ugly numbers, am now on Diovan still up slightly, but feeling O.K. for the most part. Except for the hot flashes, back pain and the occasional migraines, better than a few a week I was getting. I have five kids who are NOT angels, (but not criminals LOL) ranging from 31 to 10 and a very annoying demanding husband plus high BP runs in the family. Diovan must be pretty good!

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

Look at your PBS station and see if they run Priscilla's Yoga Stretches. I get up at 6:30 and do those and it has really helped me a lot. Like having a walking partner helps get you out there walking. This program is very low on the bouncy chirpy annoying scale, and Priscilla looks to be in her 50s (she's probably 95 but yoga keeps her young, heh).

Our station runs two of her 15-minute segments back-to-back. It is amazing that I have gotten up at 6:30 every weekday morning for two weeks and done this, believe me. I am not the inspired type.

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

Wait a minute, you're around here, aren't you? It's Channel 14 out of Oxford, not 16 out of Dayton.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    17 years ago

I've been keeping track of this thread even though I ignore forums that are all medical. They are depressing. One of the big things that spike my BP now is pain. Not severe pain, just that cronic and exausting kind. All I take for it is Tylenol. It has been helpful but I wake up in the morning so stiff and sore it's hard to move. Tylenol just put out an extended release version that you take only 3 times a day or less. So far it is working wonderfully. I can wake up without pain and feel less exausted! I haven't been taking it long enough to be sure it will last but I am hopeful. My hands don't hurt for a change.
    Zinniachick, what kind of bed was that I slept in? I know you said what it was but I forgot. Sandy

• sheepco
    17 years ago

Great news Sandy! Hope it continues to help.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Yoga and extended-release Tylenol! Sounds like a GREAT combo! I'm ready to try those. I don't have high BP, but I have chronic back pain (scoliosis). Our semi-new Temper-Pedic is wonderful, but it's not a cure-all, and I don't feel comfortable taking Aleve for any length of time.

Thanks for the insight, ladies!

Brenda

• zinniachick
    17 years ago

Hi Sandy! It was a Tempurpedic. It was a huge purchase, but it really helped my back problems. It came with pillows we call "the bricks." I'm not sure if the pillows were on there when you slept in it. We've since switched them out for Land's End pillows for people who sleep on their stomachs (find them online) and I like them better.

Look, folks, I am more skeptical than most, and quick to poke fun at new-age folky types. But I'm telling you, this yoga thing, it works wonders. I didn't try it for decades because, well, jeez... yoga. Please.

But they are stretches, and you can do them modified when you're starting out, and they help your muscles, your joints, your ability to stand and sit and move around all day. I've heard doctors say that if they could prescribe a pill that does what regular, gentle exercise does, it would be their most popular drug.

The fact that they're 15-minute increments was what hooked me. That and the fact that there's no inspirational yammering or theme song or crap like that -- it's a wonderful, middle-aged and straightforward woman doing mat exercises for 15 minutes and explaining exactly how they're done. She's cool. I bet anything she can pound a bottle of wine with the best of us.

• sewcrzy56
    17 years ago

Has anyone had problems on an ACE inhibitor with sore or irritated throat? Also menstrual changes? My doctor took me off Lotrel last July and put me on lisinipril and ever since I've had trouble with my throat and monthly cycle.....thought it was just menopause finally but this is driving me crazy...the doctor thinks I read too many pharmacy inserts, but even I can't make my throat get sore on command! Should I look for a new doctor? Any help will be appreciated!! (I've had high BP for about 6 years now so this isn't the first drug I've been on)

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I haven't checked back here for awhile and see a few more responses are here.
    sewcrzy56.......My husband does drug research for drug companies, and he just said that ACE inhibitors can cause coughs, but he hadn't heard of them causing menstrual changes.
    But.....being a person myself who is very sensitive to meds and has symptoms from them that NO ONE else gets, I sort of feel like if it started up exactly when you started the med, then its fair to make that connection.
    How old are you? Is it possible that you have, indeed, started perimenopause?
    Don't you just want to smack the doc when he says stuff like "you read too many pharmacy inserts"? GGGRRrrrrrrr.
    I was on Toprol for 6 years. I took 3 months to wean off it. Then it took 2 months for my heart rate to finally slow down. The week after I was off it, I began getting lots of bodily pain...especially GI pains. It appears as though the Toprol was controlling more in my body than just my BP. I'm sure doctors would say that's not true......but its hard not to make that connection.
    I'm guessing your ACE inhibitor IS causing your sore throat, but maybe not your menstrual changes........but those drugs are very potent, so who knows for sure?
    May your trip through menopause be smooth.......but it sure wasn't for me!!

• youreit
    17 years ago

Sewcrzy, here's something I found on the National Heart, Lung, & Blood Institute site -

ANGIOTENSIN-CONVERTING ENZYME (ACE) INHIBITORS Captopril (Capoten), Enalapril (Vasotec), Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril)

If you develop cough, sore throat, hoarseness, problems breathing, irregular heartbeat, chest pains, or swelling of your face, eyes, lips, tongue, hands, legs, or feet, contact your health-care provider.

Another site (at the very bottom of the page) -

Tell your doctor if you experience any signs of infection, such as fever, sore throat or mouth ulcers, as these could be signs of problems with your white blood cells.

Brenda

• mamabear_on
    17 years ago

Zinnia, I've been considering Yoga for a while now...I consider alot of stuff like walking the dog at 6am...still considering that too....LOL

I have downloaded several of the moves and have wanted to try them in the office on my lunch hour....nice to have an office with room and a real door....LOL

We also have the community center that offers classes at a reasonable cost but I also have a back problem along with artheritis which makes me very leary about trying Yoga and I am also in my late 40's (48) but so far no menopause and I don't whether that is good or bad.

I will have to check PBS to see if we get her here. I am in southwestern ontario (windsor) and we usually get the same channels as lower MI.

Louise

• lefd05
    17 years ago

I can't take BP meds that have an ACE inhibitor. They give me a terrible cough that I can't control. So yeah, they will give you coughs, sore throats, etc.
    Never experienced menstrual issues with them though.

Louise.......Yoga is actually great for helping you strengthen your back. The important thing you need to do is start out slow and with a GENTLE yoga program. You might look around for classes that are a gentle form. You don't really want to start out with full blown yoga. I've seen the Priscilla's Yoga shows too. Much of what I've seen on her show is a medium level and the poses can be tough to do.
    I cannot stress enough that you need to do a gentle yoga program until you can start building up your strength and flexibility. Go slow!:)

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I would like to do yoga, but with this fibromyalgia and arthritis (and obesity)......well........I would snap in half! ;)
    I do do some leg stretches that I learned after I had knee surgery. When I was doing them religiously, right after the surgery, I was amazed. I actually couldn't sleep more than like 6 hours at night, because I was so energized!
    I think stretching does sooooo much for us. I think it lets endorphins be released or something.
    So.....if you can't do the fancy yoga, still try to do simple stretches......like for your quadracepts.
    Sewcrzy..........I would get a new doc!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting