SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

Books recently read

meldy_nva
13 years ago

I have previously confessed to being a book glutton, and to a preference for 'fluff' unless I need info for a project. Well, even SF fluff can become meringue, in that a steady diet of it is boring. So, last week I wandered the non-fiction aisles and just grabbed a book here and there. Didn't choose by author or cover color or for any particular reason. I've been known to select the fifth copy on alternate shelves, but I didn't even use that sort of random selecting. Nonetheless, four of the twelve were notable enough to be worth mentioning:

*** Snowstruck (Jill Fredston) this is one to recommend to any one who skis, snow boards, or takes a ski-doo like critter onto -or off- the snowy trails. Extremely smooth writing which holds the attention [even for non-skiers such as myself].

*** El Nino (J. Madeline Nash) A rather good gathering of most of the strands involving the El Nino. Literate without being pedantic, a concise update of the most recent findings involving El Nino.

*** See you in 100 years (Logan Ward) I don't regret taking the couple hours to read it, but overall grade is no better than a 'C'. The author deserves an 'F' for forethought and planning, but the content brought the grade up. OTOH, anyone who has thought that the good old days were easy might be enlightened.

*** Mirrowing People (Marco Iocoboni) The rare book I read in sections so as to allow thinking time; I went back and re-read it straight through. The writing style is that of a lecturer, so it occasionally slogs; the information was fascinating. Sections become even more thought-provoking if you have read Elizabeth Moon's "Speed of Dark".

Now I'm off to make another random foray through the aisles.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions