SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yojoe2

Broken Connecting Rod on 9hp Tech?

Yojoe2
11 years ago

9 year old Craftsman snowblower with 9hp Tech snow king engine. Ran great last night, shut down as normal, stored inside. Went to use it this morning, engine turned just a bit, then the brand new electric starter buzzed.
Tried recoil start, would not turn at all. Took off the cover over the pulley/crankshaft area, tried to turn with a wrench, no go. Took the tension off the pulley/belt also, to make sure it was, in fact, the engine that would not turn.
Can turn it counter clockwise about 3/4 of a revolution, then it stops, will turn back clockwise the same amount. Always stops at the same place. Took recoil off, could not see any obstructions, still will not turn, took spark plug out, will not turn. Does not appear that the piston goes up and down when I turn the crankshaft as much as I can. Oil level is good.
From what I found on the web, it sounds like it may be a broken connecting rod, which is probably beyond my repair ability, and I just don't have the time to try it right now. Anyone know if I'm on the right track here and/or about what it might cost for a repair (labor)? Just trying to figure out if this snowblower's time is up, too bad though it's in good shape, except for the engine now. Thanks!

Comments (18)