SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
outsiders71

Cover crops questions

outsiders71
16 years ago

Hello,

I was wondering what would be the best combination of cover crops for northeast OH? I live in the suburbs but have a pretty decent sized garden going. I had problems last year with my clay soil, it was literally as hard as cement when dry and just horrible, nothing grew right. This year I'm trying lasagna gardening on the plot and it's working good so far. I just purchased some crimson clover, which I'm going to interplant with my veggies.

Now what I'm not sure of is what to do when the growing season ends this year? I've never grew cover crops before. From what I read hairy vetch is a good legume but should be grown with a grass like rye. But from what I read about winter rye is that you pretty much have to till it in because it is like digging into sod. So I was looking at possibly alfalfa because of its deep taproots, but I've read that its best to grow that in the spring and not in the fall. What do you guys recommend and when do I plant (Zone 5b). What I'm looking for is 1) cover crops that will break up my clay soil 2) cover crops that will do the tilling for me 3) cover crops that will feed my veggies come summer planting. I understand that this takes time and don't expect my crappy soil to be perfect in one season.

Thanks for the help

Comments (7)