SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

Organic garden tours - ideas welcome

paulns
18 years ago

What features of your organic garden do you most like to show and/or explain to visitors? Which do you find most captivating/interesting/inspiring? What do you do in your OG garden that sets you apart from traditional/chemical gardeners? Have you ever gone on an organic garden or farm tour and done something fun or exciting or unusual? Something interactive?

A lot of tourists go by our place July-September. For years I've been working on this idea of a compost tour of the garden - show the bins, the vermicomposter, the food digester, explain how they work and then show how well things grow with compost. Now I'm thinking that's a good idea for local people but for tourists and the general public I would do general organic garden tours, with composting as a major feature.

Some of the concepts of organic gardening we put into practice on our 1/4 acre are:

Feeding the soil - compost, mulches, teas

Never leaving the soil bare - interplanting, mulches, sawdust and newspaper in paths, green manures, cover crops

Inviting beneficial insects - eg. by growing small-flowered herbs

Companion planting

Pest control without pesticides - eg. slug traps

Weed control - hand weeding, buckwheat cover crop, vinegar spray

...The other day while taking the temp. of a new compost pile I was struck by inspiration: show the inside workings of a compost pile the way windows are set in cows to show digestion. :) How in the world would I go about it though?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida