SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djthomp28

When to repot monopodial orchids?

I recently purchased an Angraecum didieri. The grower told me that the plant will need to be repotted after it finishes blooming. It is in a 4in plastic pot. It is growing up and out of the pot a little. But it is not falling over at all.

He suggested that I mount it and put the mount in a clay pot (since I don't have a green house to keep up the humidity). I have zero interest in mounting this orchid mostly out of fear it will dry out and die.

The medium in the pot is in really good shape so I don't think that is a problem. The angraecum has several aerial roots so maybe that is why he suggested repotting it (??). I know I should have asked more questions then...

I understand the mechanics of repotting an orchid, and I know how it identify when a sympodial orchid needs to be potted in a larger pot. However, I am unsure about monopodial orchids.

How do I know when a monopodial orchid needs a larger pot? Also what should I do with the aerial roots when repotting (considering I do not have a green house. just windows and lots of sun)? I have hear conflicting things about leaving them out or tucking them in.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!